Veterans Day reflections from a Veteran

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by James Media, Nov 10, 2023.

1. On this Veterans Day, I take a moment to reflect on my unique journey of being a Veteran and what this significant day holds for me personally.

Enlisting in the Army National Guard was a profound commitment for me, driven by a sense of duty and a desire to contribute to a cause larger than myself. As a gay man in the military, the decision to serve carries an additional layer of significance, a testament to the evolving landscape of diversity within our armed forces.

I joined because I loved helping others and wanted to help my community, along with people told me (family & friends) that I couldn’t do it. I served Six years and looking back at it I love the experiences I have from it and the lifelong friends I had been graced with.

The bonds forged during service create a camaraderie that extends beyond military life. As a Gay Veteran, the shared experiences foster a sense of brotherhood, a testament to the strength found in embracing one's authentic identity. When I came out in the Army I was terrified that people would think of me differently, my fears became reality and many soldiers did reflect negatively about it.

But in those moments I learned that no matter what I would have to deal with this in all aspects of life, I showed everyone that I was no different than them I had different sexual orientation than them. I had a good group who stood by my side and helped me and even stood up for me when others would treat me differently. I had to work harder to be on top and show that I am the same as everyone.

The best moments I had was during huge disasters and being sent out there to help others, seeing the impact it made. I was on many missions when wildfires devastated areas or even floods destroyed peoples lives. It was those moments of helping them that I knew I was doing something bigger than myself and was proud of my

Veterans Day serves as a moment of pride, acknowledging the collective impact of Men and Women who have served and continue to contribute to society. It is a commitment to a cause larger than myself, a journey of personal growth and resilience.

Lastly I want to say two things:
    1. To all those who Have Served, those who are currently Serving, and those who have given the ultimate sacrifice Thank You for your Service.
    2. If you know someone who Served please thank them, show respect, and remember they did what most people would never do. It's a selfless thing to Serve, and its just a nice gesture to say Thank You.

Thank you for reading,

James
    Sr. Media Director

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tahoebigbear
    Chat with Me

tahoebigbear Well-Known Member

well done James and thank you for your service...

3. Michael
    Chat with Me

Michael Well-Known Member

Thank you, James for serving our great country and for all you've done in keeping us safe.

4. wrb55rosco
    Chat with Me

wrb55rosco Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service , James.. and well done! By the way what was your mos?

5. origlegman
    Chat with Me

origlegman Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service James and the sacrifices that you have made doing so. ;)[smilie=hi ya!.gif]

6. AutumnVerlot
    Chat with Me

AutumnVerlot Nympho Next Door

You're amazing, thank you James for your time served!