So glad I’m not working there now...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Old Nick, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Old Nick Well-Known Member

It’s story time.

Almost two years ago, I was working for Layton City’s parks department. I’d been there for 16 years. There are some things I loved about it, but as time went on, the things I loved disappeared and were replaced by things I didn’t like. I guess it happens at every job, but it’s probably surprising I lasted so long in what was becoming a toxic environment.

My brother in law, Budah, still works there. When we went to the theater for my niece’s birthday (we saw Frozen 2), Budah told me it’s really becoming a hellhole. The whole department threatened to walk out. I’m sure I’d be right there with them if I were still there. I told him with all the negative stuff I went through, and have seen others go through, I could write a book. In fact, I actually started writing one, but my computer crashed.

It seemed like one of my bosses, Ryan, was wanting to get rid of me for a long time. I don’t know for sure, but I could sense it. Almost overnight, I went from being a guy that could do no wrong to a guy who could do no right. Semiannually, I’d get called to Ryan’s office to hear about how shitty I was. I had a lot of confidence in my work. It got sapped to nothing. I was doing my best. But I wasn’t one of “Ryan’s boys.”

The running joke about Ryan is that if you hunted and fished, you were in good with him. I did neither, and I’m no ass kisser. Ryan hated that about me.

Every once in a while, I’d go online to see what jobs were available, but nothing that matched what I was making. I was stuck. My ex, when we were getting along, had called the higher boss, Dave, and told him what I was going through. She told him that I frequently searched online for a new job. Dave, at the time, wanted to keep me there. But that didn’t stop Ryan from calling me into the office for whatever he could think of.

I live in Utah, where someone could be fired or denied employment simply for not being Mormon. I’m lucky that I didn’t fall into the situation of religious prejudice, but one particular time, I got called into the office of the Parks Superintendent, Brock, and was told that because I like heavy metal music, that could put my job in jeopardy. Jesus, they’re really reaching here!

I told Ryan and Brock that if I’m seriously going to get fired for my musical preference, then they should get ready for a PR and social media nightmare. All I would have to do is type “Fired for being a metalhead,” on Facebook and Twitter, and for good measure, Instagram. I have friends around the world in the metal community that would see that and share it. That post could go viral. Websites like Blabbermouth and Metal Injection will eventually pick up on it. Soon, the parking lot outside Brock and Dave’s offices would be full of metalheads screaming for blood. They might come from as far as Norway. And if I were actually fired and was part of that crowd, I’d be out there egging them on.

Prior to that, I had stickers representing metal bands on my locker. Some asshole tore them off. I complained to Ryan about it and he said he’d check into it. It was a sample of what I started calling the “Ryan special.” As it turns out, Ryan himself tore up my stickers. At that meeting, I asked about how his “investigation” went about my stickers, when Dave had told me the truth a month earlier. Ryan didn’t say a thing.

Then, one year, I was “randomly selected” four times in one year for drug testing. And each time, I was clean. How far do you have to go to drive a guy out?

I ended up having to work at CAL Ranch in the evenings and weekends for supplemental employment. This lost me a lot of points with people at the city, because it meant I had less free time for special events that would be overtime for me. They didn’t like anyone moonlighting.

Sometime down the line, Brock left and Ryan moved up to the superintendent spot. My friend, Benji, who was a foreman, moved up to supervisor, and it sadly put a strain on our friendship that never quite recovered. Benji ended up quitting, but tried to get his job back, but couldn’t. He was replaced by Hatch.

What finally got me ousted from the city, where I’d been working since 2002, was during my divorce, I was asked to aerate my parks, and as I drove the tractor out of the fire department’s parking lot where it had been parked, I forgot to lift the tines. Because of that, I was given a choice: to resign and get my severance, or be fired and get nothing. So there I was...a job that I put my heart and soul into every day, and I was thrown away like yesterday’s garbage.

In some ways, I’m still angry about it, but in some, I’m glad I’m not there anymore. I felt like I was getting bullied by management. I think I got canned at the right time. I just doubt I’m going to go to the Christmas lights at the park this year or the next. I took my ex around Commons for Pokémon Go. That’s enough for me.

Then I got a job at Amazon...and we all know how that went.

I just felt I had to get this off my chest, and that’s nowhere near all of it, either.

2. KikiLover
    Chat with Me

KikiLover ♛ Middle Eastern Princess ♛

Thats messes up, sorry for losing your job :(

Old Nick likes this.
  3. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

That’s ok. I like where I’m at now a lot better. :)

KikiLover and Power&glory83 like this.
  4. Power&glory83
    Chat with Me

Power&glory83 Well-Known Member

Things happen for a reason. Look at me for example in 2007 I was working with tsa at jfk airport. Was friends with everyone and worked with a good group of people and for me it didn't feel like work, it felt like a hangout spot. But due to a Airport bid in 2009 I was moved to a different terminal due to low seniority and from their things went down hill until I was let go in March 2011. Was unemployed for 3 months until my neighbor got me a job at garda armored services. Job was a headache and I wasn't even carrying a gun or wearing a bullet proof vest while I was on the job. People there were scummy and almost lost my life there in a freakish turn of events. Was let go in January 2012 and to me I was happy cuz I hated going to work, was unemployed for 7 months. Denied job after job until my best friend aka my brother from another mother Kelvin put me on to Barclays center. I've been with them ever since and done alot of events and now currently am responsible for making the building creds for the Brooklyn nets, new York islanders and the entire building staff. I also do door access and fingerprints for the players so I'm pretty much good where I'm at. Things will work itself out bro cuz I do believe in fate just that it works out in pretty fucked up ways sometimes lol

KikiLover and Old Nick like this.
  5. KikiLover
    Chat with Me

I used to go to braclays all the time, I wonder if I ever saw you without knowing you haha ;)

Power&glory83 likes this.
  6. Power&glory83
    Chat with Me

Lmaooooo you probably did but normally I work in the command center, which event you went to??

7. KikiLover
    Chat with Me

Usually concerts... I lived in borough park.. the Jewish neighborhood in Brooklyn...I love New York, I’ve lived in couple states now and nyc is and will always be home. Even with all the crimes it’s still the best city to live in.. so much to see and do.. never a boring moment in New York!
    Nevada is totally different from New York.
    But Nevada has its positives as well like clean air hahaha.

8. Power&glory83
    Chat with Me

Lol yeh Nevada is pretty good, I actually applied for reno pd so Hopefully I get it.

Old Nick and KikiLover like this.
  9. Power&glory83
    Chat with Me

What was one concert that you liked at my job??

10. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

That’s good! Currently, I’m at Lifetime Products, and it’s a good fit for me. I actually wish I applied there when I was still working for the city, jump from there to Lifetime. But I was looking for something that either matched or topped what I was making. I ended up applying for a janitorial position at Nelson Laboratories in Salt Lake while I was at the city, which was offering a dollar less than I was making at the time. I didn’t get in there. I got an email telling me that the position was terminated. That was crazy.

If you see a Lifetime folding table, chair, or possibly a kayak at any store, I probably helped build it.