Did you know?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hikino, Jul 29, 2019.

1. hikino
    Chat with Me

hikino Well-Known Member

Here in Hawaii, we have a local news broadcaster who likes to close out the 6:00 p.m. show with a bit of trivia. Tonight he mentioned Canada produced a 1,000,000 CAD coin, consisting of 99.999% pure gold, weighing 220 pounds (100 kilograms). https://currencies.fandom.com/wiki/Canadian_1,000,000_dollar_coin

So let's say I can rolling up to one of the ranches with this coin, how much is it worth?

If we go on the coin's face value, and convert it to USD, then I have about $760,000 to spend. https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1,000,000&From=CAD&To=USD

But that's stupid. If I instead melted it down or traded the coin for cash, I would get almost 4.6 million USD. https://www.apmex.com/gold-price If I went just for face value, I'd be leaving about 3.8 million USD on the table! Dennis would rise from the grave and slap me on the head!

Ah, we can all dream, right?

AsiaFoxxx and DaniellaValenti like this.
  2. What a fun little factoid, @hikino! Thanks for sharing! :)

3. hikino
    Chat with Me

hikino Well-Known Member

Thank you. Now we need to make friends with Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen Mum. She has one of those coins.

4. randyryder
    Chat with Me

randyryder Pure heart with a dirty mind!

He just might!!!

I can guarantee, you will have the time of your life though!

-Pure heart with a dirty mind,
    Randy Ryder

5. hikino
    Chat with Me

hikino Well-Known Member

Without a doubt! Outdates for everyone! You get a date, and you get a date, and you get a date!

6. hikino
    Chat with Me

hikino Well-Known Member

After I pay for everyone's date--

Assembled clients: Thank you sir! How can we repay you?
    Me: All I ask is that you pay it forward.
    Assembled clients: We can do that. It's the least we can do. By the way, how much....?
    Me: 4.6 million dollars. In gold.
    Silence. The only sound after that is all the clients fainting and hitting the floor all at once.....

7. That was really interesting I just pictured you pulling it out of the trunk like a spare tire

8. hikino
    Chat with Me

hikino Well-Known Member

As I was writing the post, I pictured myself going up the wheelchair ramp at one of the ranches, pushing the wheelbarrow with the coin sitting in it. Just like you would see in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

I also pictured me rolling it out of the bed of a pick up truck. Though the practical question here is, how did I even lift onto the bed of the truck? It is 220 pounds after all.

AsiaFoxxx likes this.
  9. Imagine having it in the truck and chipping off little portions here and there to pay for things

10. hikino
    Chat with Me

hikino Well-Known Member

Well, I just looked and the price of gold per ounce is about $1500.00. Best to be carrying a scale, hammer and chisel so you can get the right amounts for payment.

"Sir, I just filled up my gas tank. Will you accept this chipped ounce of gold as payment? You will? Great! Also, it's worth $1500, so I'll be paying for everyone's gas tonight."

11. Lol small chips very small chips or that scale would be good to

12. hikino
    Chat with Me

hikino Well-Known Member

Scale absolutely needed. Don't want to be shortchanging anyone now, do we?