Something interesting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jim DiGriz, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Jim DiGriz
    Chat with Me

Jim DiGriz Well-Known Member

With winter coming I'm spending more time indoors, so I dusted off my DVD of Payback (1999) with Mel Gibson. Practically everyone in this movie is crooked and looking to screw over everyone else. Gibson sets the tone in the first 2 minutes with this quote:

"You'd think after five months of lying on my back, I would have given up any idea of getting even, just be a nice guy and call it a day. Nice guys are fine, you have to have somebody to take advantage of - but they always finish last."

And then he robs a cripple.

(Surprisingly, this is a fun movie!)

RunningSquirrel and KikiLover like this.

2. Dark humor is super funny to me..... good call JD!

3. Jim DiGriz
    Chat with Me

Thanks, Amy! People who like to read dark comedy instead of watching via movie might like one of my personal favorites - Ump: A Dark Comedy by James Cohen. It's from '91 so it's probably not at your library, but Amazon has it for $5.

4. will you come read it to me as pillow talk after I take very good care of you some day?

5. Jim DiGriz
    Chat with Me

But of course! Keep in mind that my version will have some characters not in the book - such as the devious software developer, equally skilled at coding and coitus!

6. RebeccaBrite
    Chat with Me

RebeccaBrite Well-Known Member

I LOVE that movie. I have introduced a few people to it.

Built tough likes this.
  7. Jim DiGriz
    Chat with Me

And even though I don't like Chicago because of the corruption, the way they shot it makes it look vibrant. And William Devane (plays one of the underbosses) - whoo! It's like they took a bottle of Bay Rum Cologne and taught it how to act.