Mini writing challenge

Discussion in 'Games' started by AmaraGunner, Feb 23, 2024.

1. AmaraGunner
    Chat with Me

AmaraGunner Your natural blonde goddess

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who enjoys writing and working the creative side of their brain. I thought it would be fun to post a little writing challenge/writing prompt thread for everyone to share ideas (and maybe even snippets of what they created!) and collectively exercise our minds.
    I'll start;

Simple prompt to start, try to keep it to 200 words or less. Your main character is trapped somewhere and looking for a way out. You must use any two of these words somewhere within the piece: feather, up, yellow, heart, progress, cage, insufferable, warm, red, clarity, ascension. All other details are entirely up to you!

2. Jim DiGriz
    Chat with Me

Jim DiGriz Well-Known Member

The groundwater had been seeping in through the walls of the pit for hours, soaking Johnathan's shoes. And in that time the home-brewed cider they'd dumped on him had gone rank. Sure they'd picked on him for years, but in the last few months he'd made real progress with his awkwardness - speaking up in class, and even talking to the people in class. And when he'd taken a risk and asked a cheerleader out and she said yes, he really thought he'd broken through.

And when she suggested a party in a cornfield out in the boonies he knew they'd accepted him. But then they got there - the gang rush of football players, throwing him a pit that must've been dug with heavy equipment judging by the gouge marks, and he saw with clarity the kind of person Monica was and how much they would always despise him.

3. AmaraGunner
    Chat with Me

I would like to say that I never saw this until now, but I love this!

4. Jim DiGriz
    Chat with Me

Thanks! If you'd like to continue the game, I'm up for it.

5. AmaraGunner
    Chat with Me

New prompt; write a short snippet (200-300 words) in which an inanimate object is the main character, but its identity isn’t revealed until the end.

6. Jim DiGriz
    Chat with Me

(This one took a while to get right)

Hey, Tom. How you doing tonight?

Pretty good, Bob. Just installing updated software on an older machine.

But that's automated - why are you here at this hour?

It's OK - I'm just here to watch the error messages in case something comes up. Check these out:

<Error - displayIdentificationInformation() not found>

Huh, so it's running while you overwrite?

Yeah, sometimes when you wipe out the old system it keeps trying to use functions that were removed.

<Error - displayFamilyHistory() not found>

Family history - so this was a residential unit?

Yeah, repurposing for industrial.

<Error - readMemory() not found>
    <Error - writeMemory() not found>
    <Error - contactHelp() not found>

That's weird Tom, it's like it's asking for help.

Don't be ridiculous, Bob.
    Droids can't feel.

---------------------------------------------------

Let's try a snippet where a detective ala Marlowe/Holmes/Monk/city detective is investigating a crime scene or summing up whodunnit.