Discerning Tastes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sharky, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Perhaps it's food, your choice of libations or people, your travels or any numerous aspects that create the fabric of your life.
    Having discerning tastes and refusing to compromise in a day and age of immediate gratification and feeding appetites or egos there is always the opportunity to enhance or settle for less that what you've established as a minimum standard.

If you're truly one who appreciates you never give in, now there is a difference between trying something new versus settling for less than what you've established as your own personal standard.
    For example take all you coffee lovers, perhaps you love Starbucks and while out and about you try a different coffee house that you know nothing about out of curiosity this is far different than going to a coffee house because it's convenient or you make a conscious decision you are willing to forego the extra effort to find your favorite establishment.

Your alcohol, your clothes, the people you associate with, your food selections?

So deep down ladies and gentlemen do you have discerning tastes or do you simply settle for that immediate fulfillment/gratification?

2. StevenL
    Chat with Me

StevenL Well-Known Member

It depends on my mood or a recommendation from someone. There is a lot to be said for the known and comfortable.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Sharky likes this.
  3. I am a creature of habit and I tend to think my habits are well formed over the years. I demand a certain wear with all in my clothing.

From lingerie to t shirts, I need a quality thread. While preparing for my latest photo shoot, I purchased several items from an online lingerie super store as well as just Amazon.com. I was very, very disappointed with the sewing and the materials (thread) used in compiling the garments.

I know of certain brands that are well made and even one brand store that went out of business but I like their quality so well that I now purchase their items on eBay. I think that is a bit discerning.

origlegman and Sharky like this.
  4. Yes and no. I’m pretty low maintenance in general, but there are certain specific things I don’t budge on. Most of my clothes are from Walmart, but I drink pricey alkaline water. I doubt I could tell Starbucks coffee from 7-eleven coffee in a blind taste test, but I buy locally farmed meat from the co-op and juice organic apples and carrots. I like Reese’s and Snickers more than Godiva. Thrifty’s is the best ice cream in the whole wide world. My face powder costs $44. I’m a bit of a mixed bag. :)

RunningSquirrel and StevenL like this.
  5. I have some discerning tastes where it matters. My casual jeans are Levi's, no substitutes. My work jeans are Kirkland brand because they're thick denim and inexpensive since I do industrial work no point having spendy jeans. My dress shirts I order online, some a French cuff, I'm picky about color so store shopping isn't an option. Long sleeve t-shirts from Wal-Mart due to price and quality for in industrial work.
    My work boots I custom order because they're vital for key work and safety.
    As far as food goes I buy what I like and I'm a label reader due to food allergies. I stick with what I know I can eat and cook without worry so I'm brand loyal.

I prefer my alcohol high quality, Don Julio tequila, Grand Marnier liqueur, specific vineyard wines and certain years for good vintage.

Most importantly people, I like honest people, I have s memory like a filing cabinet, say something to be or worse, about me behind my back we're done. I am good at judging genuine sentiment. I like intelligent people, hold a conversation, appreciate different views, sarcasm, humor. Nothing disappoints me more than lying and being vapid, shallow and myopic.

I get told to lighten up to which I say, I won't compromise when it comes to having integrity, ethics and good character.

6. JadeMonroe
    Chat with Me

JadeMonroe Well-Known Member

I am far more discriminate towards the people I allow in my energy space then I am the brands I wear. I have found the more genuine and intelligent someone portrays themselves to be the less intelligent and genuine they are. No one ever questions those who portray themselves As the innocent wholesome Type enough to witness’s their facade dissolve. They just take everything for face value( immediate gratification)
    I am very discerning in the clients that I allow in my energy space.
    Just like the clients get to choose who they want to party with I get to choose who I want to party with. Immediate gratification tells me I’d take everyone who offers the right price. However, I look for a long term genuine connection.
    I do have the flaw of sometimes falling into the category of someone who appreciates “immediate gratification”.

TiredFrog, RunningSquirrel and Sharky like this.
  7. Awesome @JadeMonroe far too often people are more picky about fashion than the people they keep around them.

JadeMonroe likes this.
  8. This is very interesting, Jade! Reminds me of the quote, “The people who know the least, know it the loudest.” :)

TiredFrog, JadeMonroe and Sharky like this.
  9. It depends for me, when I was younger, God I still am young lol. But a few years back I didn't really care what I had, it was more about being there for my mom and helping with the bills.

But as time went on and things got settled and I had my own money I started to develop an appreciation for the finer things. Whether it be clothes, food, or alcohol. Don't get me wrong I will still smash a syrup sandwich and a natty light when the mood arises. But I now have more of an eye for what is quality and what isn't and I guess what you would call a taste haha.

However as others have mentioned the company I keep is unwavering. Either we click or we don't, if we do and after getting to know you and letting you into my life. I'd give the shirt off my back and always have a couch to sleep on.

Sharky likes this.
  10. JadeMonroe
    Chat with Me

In my opinion that’s why that’s a lot of people lose themselves and their sense of peace.

TiredFrog and Sharky like this.
  11. JadeMonroe
    Chat with Me

Exactly [smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=hot over you.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=hot over you.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=hot over you.gif]

TiredFrog and Sharky like this.
  12. Good friends and bad food can really go together sometimes :)

Sharky likes this.
  13. Over the years my appreciation for good and healthy food has definitely progressed. I dont like greasy or deep fried food, eating healthy doesn't mean you give up on taste or flavor and eating healthy and having healthy habits pays off in the long run. No stomach issues, reduced dietary issues, healthy weight, good skin/hair, reduced heart, stroke, and physical issues.
    I enjoy a good salad, steamed veggies without a ton of butter, rice, and less red meat which means cleaner healthier protein.
    Just saying for myself.

14. Absolutely! I eat healthier now than I ever have in my life. If you told 15 year old chubster me that there were more vegetables than potatoes and corn, I would have looked at you like you were from another planet lol :)

Sharky likes this.
  15. Is a syrup sandwich what it sounds like? I’m intrigued! :)