Stock Market Advice

Discussion in 'Sagebrush Ranch Carson City Forum' started by EmberSolaris, Jan 26, 2024.

1. I started a stock market portfolio, who would you guys recommend looking into?

LittleLexxi likes this.
  2. For brokerage I would go with a known company. I use UBS and Fidelity. If you are asking about types of mutual funds I would go with something like US Large Cap Growth Index Fund, US Large Cap Value Index Fund or Nasdaq Composite Index Fund. When you do any funds you want to look at two main things. 1) what has the fund done over the last 5 to 10 years and 2) what fees are you charged. Also make sure you diversify your portfolio. I hope this helps. If you have any questions please ask. I have been investing in the market for 40 years.

LittleLexxi and EmberSolaris like this.
  3. Lunch Buffett
    Chat with Me

Lunch Buffett Well-Known Member

To learn about investing, I like to recommend the book "The Guru Investor" by John Reese. It recreates the investing strategies of 9 of the most successful mutual fund managers and Warren Buffett.

If you don't want to manage individual stocks, you could look into Wisdom Tree ETFs. Their ETFs use metrics to buy stocks of companies that are doing well. During the rebalancing period, they sell companies that haven't done well and buy companies that are doing better.

I have a fetish for dividends. There's something magical about getting a small payment every month, quarter or yearly. I have it set to reinvest so that it buys more of itself at the current price. One of my favorite dividends stock is Realty Income (Ticker: O) which pays a monthly dividend. I'm just starting to acquire shares of Digital Realty Trust, which builds data centers.

LittleLexxi and EmberSolaris like this.
  4. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Old Nick Well-Known Member

I use two investment apps.

I started with Stash. It’s pretty easy to use and you don’t need that much to start. You can set an investment schedule to invest a certain amount every so often. I set up mine to invest every two weeks on my payday, and I’m investing $60 every two weeks. When I can, I’ll invest extra. You can invest in individual stocks, bonds, and ETFs.

I also use Acorns. It’s much of the same but it will automatically invest spare change from purchases. I wish I’d started with this one earlier but better late than never. I mostly have used this for E-funds, but I’d much rather build up V-funds.

Pretty much what I use.

LittleLexxi likes this.
  5. LittleLexxi
    Chat with Me

LittleLexxi Exotic Green Eyed Slim Petite Russian/Latina Bunny

What an awesome thread great info ! I’ll keep an eye on this one.

6. If you’re asking for investment then I like VOO. Basically the SPY with lower fees. This gives you broad market exposure.

if you asking about stocks to invest in. I like to buy stocks in a steady fashion. So pick an amount you would put in weekly or whatever. Then I just buy whatever I want when the mood strikes. Try to buy stuff that you think will be here in 30 years. Something not too hyped currently. Research it a while. Peter Lynch says that you should spend a lot more time looking into an investment than you do a new refrigerator. I agree with that.

If you’re asking for trades then I could talk with you about that quite a lot and I’d have a different opinion depending on the day and how you personally would manage a trade.

(not a financial advisor. You will lose money if you follow my advice)

Old Nick likes this.
  7. Elon musk he’s worth investing in for stock or tesla

8. If you are just planning on not doing too much research just go with VTI or VOO the Warren Buffett approach. I day trade and swing trade daily if you want to join this insanity give yourself 5 years of studying before you generate steady positive results. practice with a paper trading account before you stick real money on the line. Learn the Psychology behind trading not just charts and fundamentals.