Reading material

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ImogenSteele, Apr 18, 2020.

1. What's some good reading material at the moment while I'm on the topic of spending free time! I've recently finished Tandia by Bryce Courtney and it's some hard hitting reading (If you've ever read it you'll know why!) and some of what she went through was relatable. So now I am in need of something lighter. Maybe some Marian Keys?

JerryVestal and DaniellaValenti like this.
  2. StevenL
    Chat with Me

StevenL Well-Known Member

A few years back when I was still traveling excessively for work, I picked up the entire Charles Dickens collection for my Kindle.

3. The oppression of a singular race was a key point and focus for Tandia. In my home country it still occurs as many of our native people fall into negative stereotypes and continue to fight for their rights to their land and the like. Also we both have worked in brothels so there’s that too! But it’s beautifully written and well worth the read. What Harry Potter house would you be?!

JerryVestal and Built tough like this.
  4. Lunch Buffett
    Chat with Me

Lunch Buffett Well-Known Member

I like the book "How to Become a Federal Criminal: An Illustrated Handbook for the Aspiring Offender".

I also follow the author on Twitter where he posts the latest federal crimes invented by Congress. Such as:

21 USC §§601(n)(7), 610, 676 & 9 CFR §319.762 make it a federal crime for a ham spread seller to try to improve the spreadability of their ham spread by adding non-ham fat in such a way that it detracts from the ham character of the ham spread.

21 USC §333 & 21 CFR §145.180(a)(2)(vi) make it a federal crime to sell canned pineapple "tidbits" if they aren't reasonably uniform wedge-shaped sectors between 8mm and 13mm thick.

18 USC §1865 & 36 CFR §7.75(e)(3) make it a federal crime to tow a person who’s on skis, behind a vehicle, down the beach of the Padre Island Seashore.

I really would like to become a federal pineapple inspector so I can send people to prison for selling the wrong size pineapple tidbits! o_O

JerryVestal likes this.
  5. Re-reading Game of Thrones :)

6. AlexaWu
    Chat with Me

AlexaWu Well-Known Member

Tandia sounds powerful. Will add this to the list. Thank you @ImogenSteele

JerryVestal and ImogenSteele like this.
  7. Sun Tzu - Art of War
    Plato's Republic
    Crime & Punishment
    Collected works of Shakespeare
    A Brief History of Time - Ethan Hawking

JerryVestal and AlexaWu like this.
  8. Currently reading :

Salt: A World History

10 mins and 38 seconds in this Strange World

Priteni: The Ancient Decimation of Pagan Britons

Alice: Memoirs of a Barbary Coast Prostitute

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

JerryVestal and ImogenSteele like this.
  9. Imogen Steele;
    Sometime someone who knows you well might suggest something new.
    Your name is from Shakespeare.
    Can you write?
    Maybe that's a better game to play.

JerryVestal likes this.
  10. JerryVestal
    Chat with Me

JerryVestal Well-Known Member

I'm going to start reading "The Constitution of the United States of America with the Declaration of Independence" book from Castle Books this Independence Day weekend as a refresher. Other than that some manga books like "Sekirei" by
    Sakurako Gokurakuin, "Reborn as a Polar Bear: The Legend of How I became a Forest Guardian" by Chihio Mishima, and "Monster Girls Encyclopedia" by Kenkou Cross. And maybe some Lady Death comics and Green Lantern comics. I have been so busy working in the family vegetable garden, going to the gym, and reading my magazines like "America's First Freedom" I haven't been able to catch up on all my other reading material not even on my Celtic, German, and Swedish history books as well as my "Aesop's Fables", "Collected Works of Edgar Allen Poe", and "Stories by Mark Twain" books.

11. Arthur Dent
    Chat with Me

Arthur Dent Well-Known Member

I've been reading "Shipwreck: The Strange Fate of the Morro Castle". Very interesting.

12. Davefem
    Chat with Me

Davefem Active Member

I am reading Memoirs of Field Marshal Albert Kesselring.

13. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Old Nick Well-Known Member

I mostly read books about the occult, heavy metal music, and video games.

14. KikiLover
    Chat with Me

KikiLover ♛ Middle Eastern Princess ♛

I haven’t been doing much book reading lately but I have been binge watching “the walking dead” tv show series.. which is based on the books. hehe

15. tahoebigbear
    Chat with Me

tahoebigbear Well-Known Member

Lonesome Dove....a classic cowboy.

16. Slider
    Chat with Me

Slider Well-Known Member

Well, that's just common sense.
    . .

Lunch Buffett likes this.
  17. Lunch Buffett
    Chat with Me

Right? I wouldn't want anyone to choke to death on a 15mm thick wedge-shaped pineapple tidbit! :eek:

18. Arthur Dent
    Chat with Me

I don't think anyone is going to prison over any of this. Sounds like exaggeration to sell more books.

Lunch Buffett likes this.
  19. Arthur Dent
    Chat with Me

I just finished "Humble Pi : When Math Goes Wrong in the Real World" by Matt Parker. Interesting stories about how math errors can sometimes have disastrous consequences.

Old Nick and Lunch Buffett like this.
  20. Lunch Buffett
    Chat with Me

This is going to be my defense after they catch me roller skating the Triple Lakes Trail in Alaska. o_O

Arthur Dent likes this.