So you wanna be inspired . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jim DiGriz, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Jim DiGriz
    Chat with Me

Jim DiGriz Well-Known Member

National Review, 8/26/19, pp 18-20:

An Independent Woman

"Laila Haidari is the kind of person someone should make a movie about. And, indeed, someone did - two someones, actually: Gulistan and Elizabeth Mirzaei, a husband-and-wife team. Their movie is a documentary, Laila at the Bridge (2018).
    . . .
    Laila Haidari has demonstrated a lot of courage, including physical courage, and she has often stood alone. But the title of the movie refers to something else - a bridge in Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan. Under this bridge, drug addicts gather, and languish, and perish. Laila tries to help them."

Notes: This is the first couple of paragraphs but you should be able to see the whole article online. She's trying to wean thousands of people off heroin addiction, which is grueling enough. But she's also doing this in a war zone, so she's literally risking her life to save them. And in her culture, if men don't like what she's doing then they can attack her with the community's tacit approval.

But she keeps on saving others.

Also, the movie referenced doesn't look to be available on DVD. I checked, and could only find references to it in private screenings.

2. KikiLover
    Chat with Me

KikiLover ♛ Middle Eastern Princess ♛

This is an interesting thread [smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif]