Management Structure and Style

Discussion in 'Dennis Hof and Madam Suzette' started by jitzuthemonk, Mar 31, 2012.

1. I have several questions about the ranches from a business aspect. I know that Dennis owns several ranches in various Nevada counties, and I'm wondering what the management hierarchy looks like. How are all of the ranches managed? For instance, are there madams (like Madam Suzette) who are considered sub-managers under Dennis; who each handle the main administrative duties for the particular ranch at which they work? Is there a "second in command" who runs all of the ranches as a whole while Dennis is off duty, away doing media, etc?

I'm also curious about management style. Does Dennis delegate a lot of authority to subordinates, or is he more hands-on (I think that calling it "micromanaging" would make it sound negative)? I visited the Bunny Ranch once a few years ago and my driver mentioned that he usually reports directly to Dennis, which made me wonder how anyone could have the time/ability to handle so many aspects of the business in such a direct way.

Not a competitor or anything. Just a one-time customer who is fascinated with the industry as a whole--its culture and its organization in particular. I wonder if anyone in-the-know can shed some light on some of these questions.

2. Good question ! I'd also like to know the ranches are taxed I remember one time hearing that the Old Mustang Ranch was taxed useing the "towel tax" method
    Chili

3. I set the general rules with Suzette who has been here 20 years now. She is the hands on person of the Love Ranch N and Bunnyranch.

Suzette has Dianne run the Love Ranch N and works with Gretchen to run LRS.

I have two more places - Dennis Hof's Cathouse in Crystal by the LRS and the alien Cathouse. They are both under construction.

Because we started small and grew up and I am very hands on and so is Suzette, we both need to look at the bigger picture more and delegate. That is hard as we have always been so hands on.

You wonder how I have the time/ability to handle so many aspects? I CAN'T. I am to the point where I need a Chief Operating Officer to run everything and an MBA to expand the business.

D

4. Every county seems to do it different. Lyon where the BR & LR are charged by the number of rooms. Nye county where my LRS, Dennis Hof's Cathouse & the Alien Cathouse are charged by the number of girls.

Makes no sense. I pay a fortune for my license either way.

5. KelF
    Chat with Me

KelF Active Member

What does the term "towel tax" mean? I've never heard of that.

Dennis, from spending time with you I definitely saw how industrious (to say the least) you are. It takes great business and social skills to turn the ranches into what you have today, and to always be investing in cutting edge, new ideas and prospects like you do. I remember how gracious of a host you were to me, taking the time to meet and talk to me, even when you had zillions of things on your plate at the same time. And when you would try to take some "fun time" at the pool, but still be right there and on pat for a business call, etc. Being so hands on has really made the ranches what they are today. When you go into for example, the Bunny Ranch, it doesn't "feel" like a business, or cold or off putting. You instantly feel welcomed, at home, and horny, hehe. I don't think it would be as good at all without you at the helm. You have the best of both skills: 1: A keen business sense 2: Charisma and good taste! :wink: [smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

6. towel tax came form a zillion years ago when they taxed you on the towels you used.
    the feds have gone thru trash at places and taxed houses crazy ways that is why we pay it all

7. the times i have met dennis,hes down to earth,he dont think hes better than any other person,i am a truck driver and make average pay,but dennis and all the staff treat me like i have millions,and ive never had anyone treat me like they do.thanks dennis for what you do.

8. Crock_Harker
    Chat with Me

Crock_Harker Well-Known Member

Well said, Bert! I, too, would consider myself of average means and Dennis, Suzette, Dianne and the staff threat me as if I was the Sultan of Brunei. In my opinion, that sort of care and attention starts at the top and is filtered down through the rest of the staff, including the ladies.

I would absolutely say that the key to the success of the MLBR/LRN/LRS is directly related to how well Dennis, Suzette, Dianne, the staff and ladies treat all of their clients. The hands on approach has obviously worked and worked well for them and I for one will be eternally grateful to them for how they have treated me.

9. Thanks a million for such a candid answer, Dennis. All of the success seems kind of like a double edged sword. On the one hand, you're doing fantastically well and have taken the industry to a new level; on the other hand, all of the expansion creates a new set of management headaches. Best wishes to you as you navigate all of this!

10. willowlove
    Chat with Me

willowlove Well-Known Member

I learned so much reading this post!!! I knew that D's property taxes were high but i didn't know the other stuff..

11. Holy bigeezers batman!!!! They charge you by how many ladies and rooms and towels? Thats completely ridiculous. But I guess thats the price we have to pay for them to let us do what we do...well u do...hopefully me too ;)

12. Very informative info.

13. KelF
    Chat with Me

KelF Active Member

Wow....

14. D

You may also consider an MPA. They go through the same two years as an MBA, with an extra year of training in public policy and intergovernmental relations (handling tensions between local, state and federal jurisdictions) which, no offense, appear to be 40% of your headaches...I have a good job so I can't help you myself. Also preservice MPA students need internships.

I think everyone agrees your role needs to be as figurehead and visibility and presence are key. People come to the ranches to get a glimpse of the legend behind it all just as much as the girls.

15. Lets not forget the shift managers to help the customers personally...and deal with the ladies one on one...forgive me...but under all management is the underdogs which also are known as the cashier,mom,nurse,key holder,hostess,bartender,maid...and all this in 8 hour day...shift mansgers/cashiers are who you deal with when you arrive,leave book money,get a drink..and every other asspect of the visit,except well you know..we respect Dennis and Suzette highly so we try to provide the highest customer service ,to make our guest and girls happy so that the experience is memorible..we do try to make all happy...on the second thought...we have had changes out here in crystal whereas ,our new general manger is Emery..he is a doll and we love him very much,so we try to do our best for him.and then of course...we all wonder how does Dennis do it..ive seen him in the bar chatting to customers,to talking on the radio,to ordering a kitchen for his new places..his construction and maintence staff are second to none as well....they are whom built up these beatiful places....i mean no disrepect to Daddie D,,or i wouldnt call him Daddy or try so hard to please him..

16. Well said Dennis. He is right, he can't be in two places at once, he does have help, and that is smart for any business man. I admire Dennis and his work ethics.