For History Lovers: Virginia City

Discussion in 'Sagebrush Ranch Carson City Forum' started by Natasha Star, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Natasha Star
    Chat with Me

Natasha Star Starlet of the Year! I put passion in compassion

A look at...
    VIRGINIA CITY, NV

Hello! I am Natasha Star, Sagebrush Ranch's 2018 Starlet of the Year.
    Do you like Old West History? Yeah, me too. Fortunately, we have a historical jackpot just 15 minutes from Mound House, NV!

Tony19.jpg

[​IMG]
    www.visitvirginiacitynv.com

Virginia City is a step back in time. During its boom-time, Virginia City influenced the entire USA, with mining proceeds that would amount to billions on dollars in today’s currency. Walking along Virginia City’s authentic boardwalks is like strolling back to the Victorian-era. This amazing historical site touts Old West saloons (some with gunshot holes still in the walls and ceilings!), shops, museums, historical churches, hotels, cemeteries, and restaurants.

[​IMG]

Let’s add a bit of romance to our historical adventure. The V&T Railroad steam engine whisks visitors through the old landscape, dotted with mines which once made this the richest place on Earth.

[​IMG]

Museums are abundant in Virginia City. Here are a few highlights:

The Way it Was Museum:
    Get a feel for how things really were back in the Old West mining days of 1860-1878. This museum displays the most complete collection of Comstock artifacts in the world, as well as video presentations showcasing the 700+miles (!!) of mining tunnels beneath the city.

[​IMG]

Chollar Mine Tour
    Let’s get to the heart of history, and explore inside a Gold Rush mine! We will go deep underground, and experience how Virginia City’s wealth was extracted. This tour explores everything from how mines were built to the rock’s geological significance to the men who made it all happen. A must see for any Gold Rush history lover.

[​IMG]

The Fourth Ward School Museum
    The last school standing of its kind, The Historic Fourth Ward School is another must see for history enthusiasts. Let us get a feel for the more individual side to the Bonanza days, through this museums authentic preservation, interpretation, and exhibits.

[​IMG]

The Mark Twain Museum of Memories
    Explore his time spent in Virginia City, and how being a reporter here developed his Mark Twain name. For all Mark Twain fans, this is a definite museum to see!

[​IMG]

[smilie=call me.gif]

This is just a small spattering of the amazing historical adventures Virginia City has to offer. I’ll hopefully have more posted soon. If you’d like me to create a personalized itinerary just for us, please contact me at [email protected], or call 775-246-5683 ext 0. I can’t wait to explore history together!

[​IMG]

2. Virginia City is such a neat place! Make sure to commemorate the day by taking an oldtime picture, too :)

3. MercyMoselle
    Chat with Me

MercyMoselle Football Fanatic

I'm curious to go stumble through the cemetery.
    One thing I've noticed compared to home - NVs cemeteries are HUGE and the lakes are not lakes... they look like our ocean front!!!!

Natasha Star and grizzly like this.
  4. auron79
    Chat with Me

auron79 Well-Known Member

My first outdate was to Virginia City and I loved it. There is so much to see and I hope to go back and embrace all the history surrounding that city. :)

Natasha Star likes this.
  5. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Old Nick Well-Known Member

I’ve been wanting to visit Virginia City for a while now. It looks like a great place.

Natasha Star likes this.
  6. EllieMoore
    Chat with Me

EllieMoore Local lover, available 24/7 by appointment!

Virginia City is a fantastic little town! There are a lot of fun tours and the history is very interesting!

grizzly and Natasha Star like this.
  7. Being the history and travel nerd I am, Virginia City is about the one place in the area I would love to visit, and just haven't yet, hopefully someday :)

grizzly, Natasha Star and Kmoe2244 like this.
  8. Natasha Star
    Chat with Me

What a great first outdate, Auron! One of the (many) things I love about Virginia City is that it is technically a "small" town, but there is SO much packed into it. I have been there countless times and still have not seen everything. Did you have a favorite part of VC?

auron79 and grizzly like this.
  9. Natasha Star
    Chat with Me

I definit
    I definitely recommend it! It's very close to the ranches, too.

grizzly and Jessie Summers like this.
  10. grizzly
    Chat with Me

grizzly Well-Known Member

@Natasha Star you are singing my tune!!! I loved visiting Virginia City, wish I had more time to explore and it was not so dang cold when I went, a lot of the saloons and such were closed when I got there. I did take the tour of a mine, that you get to under that one Saloon.

[smilie=hot over you.gif][smilie=hot over you.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

Natasha Star likes this.
  11. Virginia City is such a blast to go explore and enjoy the history!

Natasha Star and Jessie Summers like this.
  12. Bobbi Besos
    Chat with Me

Bobbi Besos Well-Known Member

Natasha Star and Jessie Summers like this.
  13. Natasha Star
    Chat with Me

It's a small place, but there is SO much to see! I have been there multiple times, and I still have yet to see everything. :)

grizzly likes this.
  14. Natasha Star
    Chat with Me

Yes! We are so fortunate to have VC so close to the ranches. :)

15. Natasha Star
    Chat with Me

You and me both, girl!

[smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

16. Delilah Rae
    Chat with Me

Delilah Rae Where secret desires become realities

what a great place for history lovers to go and explore!

17. Natasha Star
    Chat with Me

Yes! I agree!
    [smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

18. What are some of your favorite VC spots, Natasha? :)

19. JuniperJones
    Chat with Me

JuniperJones Well-Known Member

Virginia city is so cool! Thanks for sharing such an in depth post about it. Love it. :)