Currently Reading? Favorite Book?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaniellaValenti, Jul 29, 2019.

1. One of my favorite social media sites is GoodReads, its a great place to hear about new books and review the ones you've already read (here's my profile: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1492093-sequoia-redd add me as a friend if you have an account ). You can also save your favorite quotes as well.

Right now I'm reading Revolting Prostitutes: The Fight for Sex Workers’ Rights by Juno Mac and Molly Smith, its smart and insightful and I wish I could send it to some of our great politicians and policy makers.

One of my favorite books I read when I was around 14-15 called White Teeth by Zadie Smith.

My favorite book of poetry is haiku called The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan

JerryVestal likes this.
  2. JerryVestal
    Chat with Me

JerryVestal Well-Known Member

My favorite book was the Witching Hour trilogy by Anne Rice. I'm currently reading Gantz Omnibus 1 by Hiroya Oku, it's a sci-fi/ horror manga similar to the Matrix, but more freaky.

DaniellaValenti likes this.
  3. Lunch Buffett
    Chat with Me

Lunch Buffett Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading "Pot Stories for the Soul".

I think the author died a few days ago. RIP Paul Krassner.

JerryVestal and DaniellaValenti like this.
  4. auron79
    Chat with Me

auron79 Well-Known Member

I recently finished up Boudoirs to Brothels by Michael Rutter. I'm planning to get his other book Upstairs Girls: Prostitution In The American West. I'm also going to get into The Witcher books by Andrzej Sapkowski.

5. Sounds cool, how was Boudoirs to Brothels?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

auron79 likes this.
  6. auron79
    Chat with Me

auron79 Well-Known Member

It was very interesting. You learn about ladies who had good careers in the business who became their own bosses to ladies who unfortunately ended up the opposite way. Heck, I learned my city of San Antonio was part of one of the stories.

7. BigAlbowski
    Chat with Me

BigAlbowski Well-Known Member

Currently reading .... IT by Stephen King

Favorite book...... Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

DaniellaValenti and Ragazo Solo like this.
  8. grizzly
    Chat with Me

grizzly Well-Known Member

Currently reading Ben Coes The Russian a political thriller

I love reading history books especially Civil War Era

9. Ragazo Solo
    Chat with Me

Ragazo Solo Well-Known Member

Favorite book(s)
    The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit (they saved my life)

Currently reading
    The Expanse series of books (written by a guy who helped write Game of Thrones, (I've never read nor seen that series))
    I watched the Expanse tv series before reading. Both are great!!!!!

10. Oooh tough question!

Favorite book series: Malazan Book of the fallen by Steven Erikson
    Favorite single book: Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton
    Favorite authors: Michael Crichton and Brandon Sanderson

Currently Reading (for the 4th time): The Eternal Champion by Michael Moorcock

11. RubyRae
    Chat with Me

RubyRae Well-Known Member

I am currently reading: All This While Fucking: Sex, Self, and Stigma in the Modern Age.

It's about a woman who recounts her time being on dating apps and how those experiences turned out, and what it taught her about herself and society. Good stuff!

[​IMG]

12. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Old Nick Well-Known Member

4119E614-51D9-4CDB-B0B1-262A8A56294D.jpeg
    Lords of Chaos by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Søderlind. It focuses on the Norwegian Black Metal scene.

13. Currently reading Crime & Punishment along with Machiavelli's The Prince (with additional essays by him)

All time favorite book is Aldous Huxley's Brave New World

Marvin_Gaye and DaniellaValenti like this.
  14. Davefem
    Chat with Me

Davefem Active Member

My favorite book is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

I enjoyed reading about history. Currently, I am studying the Russian Civil War.

Marvin_Gaye likes this.
  15. ColinSTL
    Chat with Me

ColinSTL Well-Known Member

My favorite books are sports- oriented, but I do have a soft spot for Charles Dickens' Great Expectations. There's do much about the hero of the dtory, Pip, that I admire, and how he eventually win the love of the cold-hearted Estella.

My all- time favorite books? John Grisham's Bleachers, sbout the small-town high school football hero returning home and coming to grips with how he truly felt sbout his demanding coach, A Season On The Brink: A Year with Bob Knight and the Indiana Hoosiers, with John Feinstein chronicling the 1985-86 basketball season at Indiana and its controversial coach, and Instant Replay: The Green Bay Diary of Jerry Kramer, where the Hall-of-Fame guard tells the story of ybe famous 1967 Packer season with legendary coach Vince Lombardi, and his view if the Ice Bowl, one of the most famous games in NFL history.

16. kevinz0071
    Chat with Me

kevinz0071 Well-Known Member

My Favorite books are the Rouge Warrior Series by Richard Marcinko he is the Founder of Seal Team 6 and Former CO if Seal Team 2 awesome reads

17. I’ve recently been reading the book Dennis wrote and I can honestly say it is mind opening the man was very smart and business savvy

auron79 and Old Nick like this.
  18. It’s such a fun read, isn’t it? I still have my signed copy :)

auron79 likes this.
  19. I don't know if I could ever declare a favorite when it comes to books, but there are three that come to my mind distinctly.

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

From the immediate introduction with ultra descriptive details of colors, the what can only be described as intimacy of a long time friend in terms of the narrator who you find out is actually Death, to the heart tugging and tear jerking journey the little girl known as Liesel goes through during WW2 era Germany. It all equates to an incredibly refreshing read and a book where you can easily lose track of time.

Under The Dome - Stephen King

There is something absolutely terrifying about small town America facing a lovecraftian-lite force that has no explanation for being there. What's even more terrifying is how quickly society devolves and how the dark underbelly of said small town rears its ugly head.

Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervante

It's your classic white knight chivalrous story of maiden rescues and knights in gleaming armor romanticism, taken and given a 1600s version of satire and jest that aims to make fun of and tear down your typical white knight chivalrous romanticism. It's still funny and entertaining 400 years later, and still a better love story than Twilight.

Currently rereading The Silmarillion

Ragazo Solo and DaniellaValenti like this.
  20. KikiLover
    Chat with Me

KikiLover ♛ Middle Eastern Princess ♛

This is such an interesting thread,
    thanks for posting [smilie=heart fill with love.gif]