╚═ Jill ═╝ Message Board Tricks, Troubleshooting and How-Tos

Discussion in 'Posting Etiquette and Instructions' started by jillchandler, Oct 25, 2011.

1. I'll admit, I don't have a lot of good information to contribute here, but I do know that we need a place to discuss this sort of thing. On other boards I frequent, both professionally and personally, I've always loved to How-To guides and would love to see us sharing what we've learned.

So if you have a questions about how to make something work on the board, if you want to ask me how anything in my avatar/sig/profile was created, if you're looking for tips to get the results you want this is the place! Happy boarding, guys and gals!

2. [smilie=hi ya!.gif] Happy boarding Ms. Jill!

How do you do the animated/slide show avatars?

3. Ms Jill
    Chat with Me

Ms Jill Active Member

I recently added some tips on uploading photos the the Nervous Newbie Thread and though they might be helpful here.

4. Ms Jill
    Chat with Me

Ms Jill Active Member

That's a great question, jhead. I got the idea from the lovely Cami's (older) avatar, which I liked. I googled something like "animated avatar" (I think) and I think I ended up using picasion.com. I'm not sure if that's the exact site, though, as I forgot to save the url and I wasn't able to retrieve it from the bunnyboard to share with you.

Creating it involved choosing photos and resizing them to be smaller than 100x100, creating an account for the website to host it, and choosing a speed I wanted them to rotate at. Then it gave me a url and I uploaded it from user control panel --> edit profile --> edit avatar. Let me know if you need more details, I'm not sure that came out very clearly. :lol:

5. TiredFrog
    Chat with Me

TiredFrog Well-Known Member

How do you make a signature?? Mine was made for me but should I ever want to update, etc., would be nice to have SOME clue what I'm doing

6. isurfer
    Chat with Me

isurfer Well-Known Member

If you have a Windows computer, try downloading Photoscape (photoscape.org) and playing around with combining photographs, adding text, etc. Photoscape is free to use. Sorry, I don't do MAC, so I have no clue on what to use there.

7. Ms Jill
    Chat with Me

Ms Jill Active Member

I've recently had success hosting clothed photos in a private album on photo bucket. It's very compatible with the board, and they haven't booted me yet. :lol: Many moons ago, before I figured out how to upload photos directly to the board, I hosted the racy photos with hotchyx.

8. Ms Jill
    Chat with Me

Ms Jill Active Member

Re: ╚═ Jill ═╝ Message Board Tricks, Troubleshooting and How

New tip today. Nobody requested it but I figure I'd share anyway. Here are some instructions on creating a link with words rather than having it display the whole url. Any tags I've included would be without spaces, I just had to add a few spaces so they would display.

Click on the URL Tag
    [url ][/url ]

Insert your url and an equal sign in the first part of the tag
    [ url=http://www.bunnyranch.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71659&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ][/url ]

Type the words you want to display between the url tags.
    [ url=http://www.bunnyranch.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=71659&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ] Message Board Tricks [/url ]

Without spaces, the Result should look like this:
    Message Board Tricks

If you want to change how the link text appears it has to go between the url tags as well.
    For example this:
    [url =http://www.bunnyranch.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71659&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ]Message Board Tricks[/size ][/color ] [/url ]

Looks like this:
    Message Board Tricks

*Edited because I put the wrong URL in initially.

9. Ms Jill
    Chat with Me

Ms Jill Active Member

I have a new 'trick' today. I have been learning more about using the search function. I've figured out how to look up all the threads started by a board member or lady.

First click on search, and then enter the board name of the person you are looking for in the "Search for author" field. Select "First post of topics only. Move the bubble from posts to topics under that. Select "All available" characters of posts and search.

I don't know if it'll be helpful to anyone, but I was incredibly happy when I figured out how to better make use of the search function. Now it's very easy to keep up with the threads of my favorite bunnies, lovers, and board members!

10. If that's all you are wanting to do, just add them to your buddies list. It will show if they are online or offline and allow you to click on their profile and search their posts that way as well.

11. Ms Jill
    Chat with Me

Ms Jill Active Member

I do make good use of my buddy list, I mostly use this when looking up a prolific poster. It's for when I want to only look at the threads they've started, and not every single thread they've ever commented on. :) Using the buddy list is an amazing suggestion though, and something I only recently figured out.

12. I stand corrected. Subscriptions I have no problems with. It is the "Bookmark" feature which I am unable to use. It won't let me add anything.

Subscriptions, I NEVER use anymore. I post so often that my email box would be overwhelmed if I received notifications every time someone posted to a thread that I had posted to. Also that whole "bumping" thing and getting notified; well, this is not the thread to have that discussion on.

So far as checking for responses to my posts are concerned. When I log in, I will search MY profile posts, checking to see who has responded to the threads and reviewing them accordingly. Its easier than to get 20-40 email notifications a day.

I wish the bookmark feature would work as there are threads that float down several pages; that I would still like to keep accessible without having to search through everything. It would also allow me to not have to store them on my web browser's bookmark function; which could present privacy issues if someone were to borrow my laptop.

The situation hasn't bothered me enough to complain about though so I don't exactly consider it a super important issue.

13. isurfer
    Chat with Me

A tip for disabling word censorship.

As far as word censorship on the message board, check your settings. First click on User Control Panel. Then click on Board preferences listed on the left. Then click on Edit display options. Look 6 items down, make sure the "Enable word censoring:" is set to No. Then click on the Submit at the bottom.

The most common censorship seen on these boards is the 4 letter word "SHlT" read by others as "poopoo" when the word censoring is turned on.

14. Ms Jill
    Chat with Me

Ms Jill Active Member

I figured out today that it's possible to save a draft of a post, and not just board messages. Just click the save button rather than submit and it will ask if you're sure. When you're ready to post it later go to User Control Panel --> Manage Drafts . Choose Load to be able to post it, view/edit if you'd like to make changes without posting, or check the box next to it and select delete marked if you no longer want it.

You guys probably already knew that, but it's new to me so I figured I'd share.

15. isurfer
    Chat with Me

In reporting a SPAM post there are a few things you must do.

First, you must be logged in to your account on this message board. If you are a "guest" that is just browsing the message board without logging into your account, you will not have the option to report a SPAM post.

After logging into your account, look at the far right within the SPAM post towards the bottom of the post. (Left) click on the red boxed exclamation point [!] that is just above the

16. Crock_Harker
    Chat with Me

Crock_Harker Well-Known Member

Ok...so this thread really isn't about ghosts...well, not REAL ghosts anyway. I wanna talk about CHAT ghosts. This is a quick education about how to properly exit out of chat without leaving your "chat soul" behind to haunt those of us that are still there.

Instead of exiting out of your BROWSER to leave chat, simply click the small red X in the upper corner of the chat window by the list of names in chat. Below is a picture of that area. Once you click that red X, wait for the small box to appear that says LOGGING OUT FROM THE CHAT. When that window disappears, you can safely exit your browser without leaving behind any ectoplasm residue.

17. isurfer
    Chat with Me

When making several posts in a short time, be patient for the post to show up. The default settings of making posts is one post per 30 seconds for each user. 30 seconds is not a long wait, and it is better than seeing a spammer make 150 spam posts in 5 minutes on the message board.

18. crumbie
    Chat with Me

crumbie Active Member

a few replies in this thread, i didn't read them all, so if this question is in here, I apologize and i'll actually read thru.

I'm assuming a lot of people use "show your posts" function in the control panel

I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove some of the threads that I've posted in from my show your posts list

19. isurfer
    Chat with Me

You can flag your post for a moderator, asking to remove the post that you made, if that is what you are asking. You can also edit your own post that you made, but you cannot personally delete it. You can also edit your topic subject/title. I'm not sure the moderators will remove topic subjects that other board members have posts on, even if you created the topic. Not sure exactly what you mean by "remove some of the threads" if you mean topic subjects or just the posts you have made when you say threads. There is a difference in if you are the first to post and created the topic subject and other members have responded to it with their posts, or if you are just responding with a post on a "thread" created by someone else that you want removed.

Edit: I believe you can now remove your own posts.

20. isurfer
    Chat with Me

If you make a double or multiple posts, or see them made by another board member, you should flag the duplicates for the moderators to delete. Not everyone flags the multiple posts that they see, but the moderators appreciate the effort by those that report them, helping to keep the board "clean" just like when flagging the spammers to get rid of unwanted posts. You can flag the duplicate post as you would flag spam posts using the instructions that I had posted on this topic, but select "Other" and type in "duplicate post" in the comments.

21. crumbie
    Chat with Me

crumbie Active Member

ok, I'll try and explain myself a little better..

User Control Panel, then under your total posts there's a link that says "Show your posts"... click that
    the View your Posts page.... every thread that you ever posted in, is here. doesn't matter if I've posted 38394 times in a thread, or posted only 1 time.. the threads are on that page.

while yes, I could ask the mods to remove my posts from those threads and they'll stop showing up on that page, but in some cases, that might disrupt the flow in the conversation if someone was reading it and I'd rather not have the mods go looking at every post I mark for them to remove... it's unnecessary work when they could be taking out the spam instead.

I want to be able to remove threads from showing up on my "View Your Posts" page while leaving what I wrote in said threads, intact.

and I was wondering if anyone had figured out how to do this. I've played around in my settings trying to accomplish my goal but to no avail, hence this post.

22. isurfer
    Chat with Me

Got it crumbie, I understand now what you mean, good explanation. No, I know of no way of removing your topics from that "list" because it is also there for others to find things as well as yourself. As an example, I might say to myself "I remember crumbie mentioning Dennis in a post he made and I don't remember which topic, but I can search for it using your profile. All I or you have to do is search by the keyword you are looking for (search these results:). Also, the total number of your posts might be listed, but as time goes on, some of the posts will no longer be on the board to view as they are "pruned" from the database, normally a topic that has not had any posts for about a year on the general forum for BunnyBabes where most of the posts are. If you notice there is not a large number of Real Life Ranch Report topics, so that forum has not been "pruned" to a smaller size, there isn't a need for it. I did a search for "tallest" in my posts, came up with nothing since I remember a topic a while back that I posted on about who was the tallest bunny, but it must have been way over a year ago. The topic got old with no current responses and got removed. I also did a search for the word "naked" in my posts, and found what I was looking for on my posts, but the results are only for current general forum topics that still exist.

As a moderator, I also use that option of seeing what list of topics a suspected spammer posted on. If the spammer is able to hide those posts from me on the list of his posts (what you are trying to do with removing the post from the list but letting the post itself stay on the board), I will not be able to find his spam posts and they might remain hard to find on the message board.

23. isurfer
    Chat with Me

A PM (personal message) topic that comes up every so often, why the message sent seems to stay in the Outbox folder.

The personal message stays in the Outbox after you send (Compose message then Submit) it until it has been read by the recipient or, in the case of PMs to multiple people, at least one of the recipients. Think of it as a parcel or mail in transit.

Once the PM gets read by the recipient (or any one of them if you sent the message to multiple recipients) the message then goes into the "Sent messages" folder. Think of this as a delivery confirmation. You have to send separate individual PMs if you want to make sure every person reads your message.

The advantage of the PM messaging system used here over regular email is that you know your PM was read when it shows up in your "Sent messages" folder. In a regular email system you don't know if the person even got your email or read it. I have sent emails to addresses that people don't use anymore, and vice versa, there are some email addresses that I no longer use that people try to contact me with.

24. Re: ╚═ Jill ═╝ Message Board Tricks, Troubleshooting and How

Gimp is a good program that's free, but I've just Googled image resizing in the past and several websites popped up where you can do it easily for free.

25. Ms Jill
    Chat with Me

Ms Jill Active Member

Mixie, I'm sorry I missed this. I use Picasa for resizing my photos (which is 600 pixels max) then save them to my desktop. Then I just browse photos and add the ones I want. This eliminates the need for a photo hosting service, and your nudes won't get pulled. Picasa is free and quick. Plus it'll pull all your photos into one place if you choose. I love it!

26. isurfer
    Chat with Me

Kerr, when we walked through the steps in PM chat, I think it went something like in this order to post a picture that was on your Windows computer.

First, you went into Paint which came with your computer, opened your picture and then Image Resized your picture to make it a bit smaller then did Save As a JPEG file and remembered where you saved it and the name.

You clicked on Post Reply to a topic to open up a new post, and below "Upload attachment" on the lower part of your post screen you clicked on Browse to search for the JPEG file you saved, and clicked "Open" to put the filename into the Browse area.

You then clicked "Add the file" without adding a file comment.

Below the area where you type in text for your post, an option line was added for your "Attachments" and you saw the JPEG (.jpg) filename listed that you had uploaded, and you then clicked on "Place inline" to add the image attachment to your post.

You then clicked "Preview" to see if the image was there and that it was the one you wanted.

27. isurfer
    Chat with Me

Banner ads slowing up your browser and being irritating on the message board? I found a topic thread and post about using the Firefox browser and the Adblock addon to help with that written by BeansMcGhee.

BeansMcGhee:
    I can understand that people dislike them but I can understand the reason for having them. I will point out that when using Firefox, my Adblock addon has automatically blocked them without me doing it so clearly Adblock has the hosts on some sort of blacklist from the start. On Chrome, which I use on one of my other computers, they do still show up but I haven't installed any addons to remove banner ads.

I think if they have to be there to contribute to the running costs of the site then it could be an idea, as suggested above, to have it made clearer that they are sponsor sites and nothing to do with the Ranches or the message board.

Original topic: Move/Remove Sex Chat/Webcam Banners at the Top of the Page?
    <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bunnyranch.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58232" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58232</a>

28. isurfer
    Chat with Me

Time to revisit some old threads on helpful tips again. The link to the original topic is at the bottom of this post.
    The first example of "Internet Pictures" given by epsilonbob can be used for photos that you have uploaded to your Photobucket account for instance.

From epsilonbob Post subject: How to post images (step by step)

Hey guys I noticed some people have issues trying to post images so I thought a little "How-to" was in order:
    *** pictures can not be bigger than 600 pixel width***
    There are 2 ways to post pics 1 for pictures you find on the internet and 1 for pictures on your hard drive

Internet Pictures(Using google image search):
    1. Find the picture you want to post (click it)
    2. Click the link to view full size image
    3. Copy the address for the picture you want
    4. Copy and paste this piece of code then replace the address with the one you copied:
    Code:
    [img ]http://www.bunnyranch.com/someimage.jpg[/img]

4a. You can also just click the button that says "Img" (above the text box) it will insert the tags and you can paste the address between them
    you can move the image around in your post by copying and pasting that line of code

Pictures on your hard drive:
    1. Click browse
    2. find and select the picture you want
    3. click "open"
    4. click "add file"
    5. then click "Place inline"
    in your post this line should appear
    Code:
    [ attachment=1]yourImage. jpg[/attachment ]

you can move the image around in your post by copying and pasting that line of code

Original topic: How to post images (step by step) by epsilonbob
    http://www.bunnyranch.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45788

29. isurfer
    Chat with Me

PUFFIN browser

PUFFIN works on iPad, iPhone and Android devices.

Post subject: IPAD USERS CAN RUN BUNNY CHAT and OTHER FLASH APPLICATIONS!

The link to the topic by KARAOKESINGER:
    http://www.bunnyranch.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65251

Attention all IPAD users!!!

For those that don't already know you CAN use all the features on
    the bunnyranch.com website including CHAT by using downloading and installing
    a browser called PUFFIN onto you IPAD! Puffin is a great replacement for the
    standard SAFARI browser as it is faster and provides seamless support for Flash
    applications. There is a free version and a full version that costs less than
    five dollars.

You can find more information on this browser at the following location:

http://www.puffinbrowser.com/

Happy Chatting!

KARAOKESINGER

P.S. this solution inspired by a challenge presented by the irrepressible MISS SKYE!

30. Re: ╚═ Jill ═╝ Message Board Tricks, Troubleshooting and How

UPDATE FOR MOBILE USERS:
    You can now use tapatalk app to read and reply to posts on the forums without using your web browser of any kind...download the tapatalk app...sign up for a free account using your BR email (or message board email). Then add the bunnyranch message board by searching for "Bunnyranch" (you will have to login to the board with your board with your board user and password...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31. GezabelleSinclaire
    Chat with Me

GezabelleSinclaire The girl you always Fantasized about

Very informative thread! So many useful tips! Thanks guys!!