Locking old posts

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Chili Cook, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Well lets run this one up the flag pole and see who salutes it, Digging up old post's is really getting to be a real pet-peeve of mine , I've seen people post on 5 year old threads just to get their name out there, either that or they are just extremly bored and have nothing else to do. That being said. Over on another board that I frequent they have installed a motifcation that will lock all threads/post that have not been active in 30 days you can read all threads/post all you want ,you just can't add to them. I think this is one tremendous idea, and I think it would stemulate new ideas and topics

Just an idea

Chili

2. Re: Locking old post's

I think 30 days is pretty quick. As long as the percentage of old posts being brought up stays about where it is now I would rather leave the threads open. I like to see some of the old posts and get an update on what's going on. A small amount ARE annoying like bringing up KelF's thread on her troubles posting pictures. Obviously, that has been resolved long ago and no updates were required.

3. TN_MAN
    Chat with Me

TN_MAN Well-Known Member

Re: Locking old post's

Here...Here...Here...Chili!!! Thank You for posting this topic.I too,feel the same freaking way on this whole sad story.But may I please ask you to give me more clarity on "post that haven't been active for 30 days"?I am taking this as that the actual author of the post hasn't made a follow-up posting on the topic.I figure that if I only post once on my own topic then it must not be that important...right!Also,I am so sick and tired of these would be poster or "I want to be a bunny" people that only post once should have their accounts ended after 10 days.Sorry folks,I see no value in hand holding these drive byers...

4. Re: Locking old post's

In my opinion it would have to be 30days since the last post, either the orginal poster or by someone else and bumping up your own thread just to see your name in lights doesn't count and I would sugguest after bumping your own post 3 times is an automatic lock out

Chili

5. Re: Locking old post's

Agreeded ( somewhat) You would still be able to read the threads and post just not be able to comment on them I mean Really ,come on bumping your own thread 8,9,10 times on a 2 year old thread :roll: :roll: :roll: And really, I realize some info is timeless in which case it should be made a sticky note but digging up 5 year old post ????????? for what purpose just to cure the boredom of late nights/early mornings ??

Chili

6. BigAlbowski
    Chat with Me

BigAlbowski Well-Known Member

I'd be ok with a lock of old posts! I have seen a post and saw how old it was and reading the post that updated it I thought... WHY?
    I think if a post "dies out" after 30 or 60 days (whatever can be agreed on), locking it would be VERY reasonable!

Al

7. Re: Locking old post's

Now if we could just get the moderators. to agree with us :?

Chili

8. Harold
    Chat with Me

Harold Well-Known Member

Chili Cook, et al.:

What you have to do is get the Owner to agree. The moderators serve at the will and pleasure of the Owner. When given specific directions by the Owner or the General Managers, we try hard to comply or we get replaced.

Any actions taken by the moderators are supposed to be inaccordance with policies and rules established by the Owner and usually disseminated by Madam Suzette. Some of the written rules are contained in the Chat Room Rules and others in Posting Etiquette and Instructions.

Harold

9. Re: Locking old post's

I think this is a good ideal for those who don't frequent the boards often. But then again. I often have to go back and comment on replies that were made on my older post. I found that a lot of members like to look at what you have said in the past to get to know you a little better before they will contact you. I think that if you're a lover or bunny your post shouldn't be taken down until you no longer work at the ranches.

10. Re: Locking old post's

Very well said, I come to find myself posting on old posts and don't realize it because I sometimes don't look at the date the post had started. Yet I would love to see the women who no longer work at the ranches to pull the posts and pictures down becuase some guys do try to contact or post on their threads and they are retired, but then again on the other side of the coin, they could come back.

11. Re: Locking old post's

i don't think we should lock them, if anybody wants to comment on anything they should be able to regardless of the date. :)

12. Re: Locking old post's

I would say thirty days is too quick.

For a forum with the amount of traffic as this one seems to have, a thirty-day inactivity lock could simply result in people bumping their own threads in order to beat the lock, particularly if the thread contains information that the person involved considers important. I also gather that some of the ladies have various information threads but also take extended breaks from the Ranches and become inactive on the message board, thus the thread slips away but once the lady comes back she bumps the topic to remind potential clients of what type of services and experiences she offers. While I know that some of these are stickies already, it could get very cluttered if every such thread became a sticky.

I have also found that message boards with threads that expire so quickly face an onslaught of people who start threads on topics that have been covered 100s of times because they are unable to contribute to the thread that already existed.

However, bumping a five year old thread, particularly if it contains information that is no longer pertinent, or has been replaced by an identical thread anyway is obviously something that is going to irritate certain people. Therefore, instead of a 30-day inactivity lock, why not a 180 day inactivity lock? If after six months no one has posted on a thread, nobody has returned to re-spark the conversation etc. then it would be much safer to consider that thread dead.

13. Re: Locking old post's

Honestly it doesn't bother me in most cases. It is interesting to go back and read stuff from several years back and it adds to the board if someone gives them a bump and brings them back to light.

I would agree with locking some like "I want to be a bunny" and some of the more trivial stuff after 6 months.

Personal opinion, I'm with Beans that if you're going to have a policy like that: 6 months is ideal. Anything less than 90 days would not be good.

As much as anything, if you make it 30,60, or even 90; I worry about new threads with overlapping topics becoming constant, and thus causing confusion, and making having a good in depth discussion very difficult due to no one being able to remember which thread they posted what to where.

14. TN_MAN
    Chat with Me

TN_MAN Well-Known Member

Cindi,I believe am in love with you :oops: I am totally on board with your thoughts and ideas.I feel that your suggestions would go along way in not getting confused.So,please unlock your car door and let me ride with you :twisted:

15. Re: Locking old post's

I dont think anything should be locked for two reasons:

1.) This is a business/promoting venue for the bunnies/lovers; therefore the General Forums is where the lovely Courteseans promote themselves and give us a little show of whats to be seen in their rooms.

2.) If a STD post from three years needs to be updated for some reason, ie a cure has been found for instance, then that is news!

I agree someone necro'ing a football post from 2 years ago is dumb, but this is a fun site, lets not complicate it to much with overbearing rules. It only takes a moment to look at the date on the post and if your post count is a status symbol to you, umm I do not know what to say, but you may want to call someone :wink:

-EU

16. Re: Locking old post's

I agree !! We want new posts all the time.

[smilie=hot over you.gif] [smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

17. Ms Jill
    Chat with Me

Ms Jill Active Member

I have mixed feelings on the subject. I am all for a thirty day lock but think it would be best when coupled with a better subdivision of topics (as has been mentioned here before). The only time I have legitimately seen a good reason to bring back an old thread is when I have something fun to add to it (such as the kilt thread I recently brought back) but if threads were locked I would just have started a new one to encourage 2012 St. Patrick's Day attendees to also don their kilts.

18. Re: Locking old post's

NO! Definitely not. I will probably be editing all of the original posts of my threads so that they don't say anything when I leave the ranch. I know this won't solve the problem completely, but it will help.

I wish that we would lock the posts. I think that 30 days is too short, but I'm all for 60!

[smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

19. Re: Locking old post's

I couldn't agree with this more! It dilutes a good board that has active topics with just a bunch of DEAD, INACTIVE threads for no other reason than "bumping". Frankly, if I were a NEW girl on a house board trying to establish myself , I would find it very frustrating finding my threads on the second or third page every morning for no other reason that it doesn't allow those threads to grow and possibly bring that person's name to other's attention.

In the end, I along with others have just grown to ignore those threads that are being bumped, which defeats the whole intent of promoting a girl. What's the saying? "Don't let the fox guard the hen house", oh well!

20. kevinz0071
    Chat with Me

kevinz0071 Well-Known Member

I don't think 30 days is reasonable that is too short of a time I like beans 6 months idea

21. Re: Locking old post's

I have to say that I agree with the 30 rule auto-lock, especially in the RLRR section. That way, the old reviews aren't brought up even though they happened two, three years ago. However, in this case, I think that if a girl makes up a collection of reviews thread, it could probably warrant a sticky or maybe their own section away from the individual ones.

22. Re: Locking old post's

True ! But in a lot of case's posters don't notice post dates and just want to post something and will retrive threads from 3-4-5 years ago and the girls have long since departed the ranch Thats funny

Chili

23. KelF
    Chat with Me

KelF Active Member

Agreed.

24. Re: Locking old post's

I agree

25. Harold
    Chat with Me

Harold Well-Known Member

Report the old threads that you want locked and the moderators will consider the request,

NOTE: The thread should be truly dead or no longer timely such as RIP XXX, etc.

Reactivating an older thread that has relevance is often better than starting a new thread and rehashing all of the previous information.

The "When Ladies Post" thread is currently relevant.

26. Re: Locking old post's

i agree with this delete post too that are not getting any replies...i have a few up there and i can't figure out how to delete them myself. once i did delete one and the few responce i got where talking to themselves. so yes lets get the old gone and freshen up the place....

27. isurfer
    Chat with Me

isurfer Well-Known Member

Dawn, if you or other posters wants one of your topics that you created to be locked or deleted, you can report and flag those posts for the moderators just as you would report SPAM or duplicate posts, and select "Other" as the reason and type in your reason why you want it deleted or locked. Here is a link on my how to report a post, ("Spam" reporting in the link and post, just change the Reason to "Other") and let the moderators know why you want the deletion or locking by typing in the "Further information" area. Many people flag double posts this way, but some newer board members don't know how to report them yet.

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bunnyranch.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54357&p=1195242&hilit=exclamation#p1195242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54357&p=1195242&hilit=exclamation#p1195242</a>

28. Re: Locking old post's

that is a very great idea. :) Locking up old posts can be good :)

29. Re: Locking old post's

Deleting old posts is up to you all...the only posts I dont think we should delete are Reviews...more to cum on this....hmmmmm

30. Harold
    Chat with Me

Harold Well-Known Member

REPORT DUPLICATE POSTS

REPORT OFFENSIVE POSTS

REPORT SPAM

REPORT OLD POSTS

There is not going to be an automatic deletion of anything. If you want something done, you are going to have to flag it and bring it to the attention of the moderators so that the appropriate action (Locking or Deletion) can be taken.

31. Re: Locking old post's

I don't see the problem? I know ladies that may take time off then when they come back and want to post on her old threads they would be gone?no! This would cause her more work. It's not easy coming up with some of these posts like pic threads and q&a threads. I would be pissed if I took 30 or 60 days off and all my hard work went down the drain. I probably would feel like posting was a waste of time and that it will be deleted or locked if no one comments on it while I'm gone. Not every lady lives on the board or wants to post all the time. So if they want to stay away then come back they should be able to. Just my opinion . I do think an author should be able to delete all of their posts with the deletion of their acct. this would solve problems for ladies that move on in life. [smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

32. Harold
    Chat with Me

Harold Well-Known Member

Moderators when requested by PM and with the concurrence of Madam Suzette can request the webmaster to make a board member's entire presence (almost everything) go away.

This also happens when a person is BANNED from the message board.

CAUTION: If you are ten or more pages down from the front page, you probably have a dated post. Unless there is a good reason, why bring the post back? EXCEPT FOR RLRRs.

Some posts just do not take off and probably should be allowed to quietly fade away and go to post Heaven.

33. Re: Locking old post's

Post heaven. I can agree with that. Maybe only the author should be able to bring up posts past a certain time frame. I could agree with that. Sometimes new members bring up all of a girl's posts that are no longer at the ranch ie. they retired and that new member doesn't know. I do find that annoying sometimes. Good to know that if I want to disappear all I have to do is get banned lol

34. Re: Locking old post's

AND the moderators are usually pretty good about that stuff. I've had a couple of threads I started which I later asked to have deleted for certain reasons. Moderators have always honored those requests.

35. Harold
    Chat with Me

Harold Well-Known Member

Moderators can remove pictures that should not have been posted or posts that reveal just a little too much information and the quotes of that information by another board member.

We can also edit a post to remove a word or sentence.

Just like the government in Washington, we are here to help you!