Cinnamon's Old words, newer meanings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cinnamon, Aug 4, 2016.

1. cinnamon
    Chat with Me

cinnamon Making Memories, You'll Never Forget!!!

What are Words or phrases where the common meanings have changed from before, even slang terms? Pot anyone??? [smilie=happy.gif]

Going down is what many people think of when getting on an elevator... but sexually???
    Spam is something you eat that comes in a can... but on the internet???

dreamscometrue and isurfer like this.
  2. willowlove
    Chat with Me

willowlove Well-Known Member

I've heard the word fuck was an acronym for Fornicate Under Consent of the King, if its true, the meaning has certainly changed!

isurfer likes this.
  3. caressakisses
    Chat with Me

caressakisses *Caressa Kisses ;-),

Blow used to mean it was windy! Now not so much!
    Kisses Caressa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

isurfer likes this.
  4. Troll used to be an imaginary folklore character, then they made Troll dolls.
    troll.jpg

Now an internet troll is something else.

cinnamon likes this.
  5. Hump. Used to be what was the back of the camel. Not sure what was next, hump day being the middle of the week, Wednesday, or fucking, or what a dog did to your leg by humping it.

cinnamon likes this.
  6. A hit was striking something or someone, like a fist to a face or a bat to a ball. Hit then became a word for something very popular, like a hit song or hit show. Somehow, a hit turned out to be a drag on a joint. Oh, I guess that is two other words with changed meanings, drag and joint.

cinnamon likes this.
  7. Work--apparently it means attractive people, as in "There's a lot of work up in the club".

That's how it was described to me, by a coworker who clearly never used the original meaning while at work....

cinnamon and isurfer like this.
  8. KimGoode
    Chat with Me

KimGoode Welcome To Paradise Your Pleasure Is All Mine

I love this hit is also something like hit it like sexually can I hit it that is just a thought that came across my mind while I was reading the answers I'm kinda nasty
    d793179b03a586e.jpg

isurfer likes this.
  9. Good one Kim. I complete forgot that. "I can hit that" was something the guys I knew said when looking at a girl. Being nasty is goode, especially in a brothel or on this message board, lol.

cinnamon likes this.
  10. GezabelleSinclaire
    Chat with Me

GezabelleSinclaire The girl you always Fantasized about

These are great! Thanks for sharing!!!

11. cinnamon
    Chat with Me

lol love the "clearly never used the original meaning while at work" part! haha

12. RoxyGold
    Chat with Me

RoxyGold Well-Known Member

There have been many slang terms for money. Dough, bread, cheddar, scratch...

isurfer likes this.
  13. VanityAffair
    Chat with Me

VanityAffair Well-Known Member

High has a lot of meaning. Up in the air or high as in under the influence or top point of something high horse or big

14. cinnamon
    Chat with Me

Thats Hot, as in sexy hot and temp hot

dreamscometrue and isurfer like this.
  15. willowlove
    Chat with Me

I once heard a snowboarder say "shred the gnar, bro"
    ...I am still unsure of the meaning hahaha

isurfer likes this.
  16. RoxyGold
    Chat with Me

Stoked as in fire, or stoked as in excited :)

isurfer likes this.
  17. Tweet has a newer meaning now on the internet. I don't tweet, I'm old fashioned. I always thought that birds did that, and I don't want to be thought of or act like I had a bird brain, lol. j/k

18. I remember being told that when you swiped something, you were stealing it.

19. RoxyGold
    Chat with Me

In the 70s (at least in movies) sex was referred to as "make it" instead of "do it" :)

Slider likes this.
  20. willowlove
    Chat with Me

I've been stealing my own credit card for years!! :eek::eek::eek:

Slider likes this.
  21. At one point surf used to be ocean water or surfing a wave. Later it became associated looking at pages on the World Wide Web or as the saying goes, surfing the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Slider
    Chat with Me

Slider Active Member

Long before it ever meant "erection", the term "boner" used to refer to "a stupid mistake". Kinda like a shortened, hip version of "boneheaded decision".

Case in point, I once saw an old innocent Andy Hardy movie from the 1930's or 40's, and in it, Mickey Rooney accidentally trips a girl walking down a bus aisle, and he says "Woops, sorry, my boner."

(...at which point, you just can't help but grin.) :D

23. Slider
    Chat with Me

Slider Active Member

Oh it predates the 70's, and it definitely wasn't limited to movies. TV shows in the 60's famously tried to censor the Rolling Stones / Mick Jagger from singing the line "...and I'm tryin' to make some girl" from the song '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'. Then after that, tons of bands started using not only "make it", but also other sexually suggestive rhymes to go with it, like"take it" and "fake it".

BTW, there was also a song by Bread specifically called 'I Want To Make It With You', which came out right when my parents were starting to do the nasty.

So,...

Thanks, Bread! :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

24. a snowboarder is very much like a surfer...they have a language I still don't understand

25. RoxyGold
    Chat with Me

A "dick" used to be a private detective. :)

26. AliceLittle
    Chat with Me

AliceLittle Sagebrush Ranch Starlet

Tap used to be to gently touch/hit something, like tapping someone on the shoulder. But when you want to "tap that" it's more than a gentle touch lol

27. VictoriaKeyes
    Chat with Me

VictoriaKeyes *Available All Winter*

Right on.... Right on is like being on point!

28. AliceLittle
    Chat with Me

AliceLittle Sagebrush Ranch Starlet

Also decimate. Decimate means to destroy one tenth of something (dec-ten), but now we often use it to mean completely or nearly completely destroyed.