Brothels Book Club

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DesertRose, Sep 4, 2017.

1. DesertRose
    Chat with Me

DesertRose Renaissance Lady's Rendezvous!

I know you all might be surprised to learn about what us brothel ladies are reading these days. We [as in Roxanne, Helana, Canela, and myself.] This doesn't mean that we can't include you all at least the ones that want to participate in sharing whatever you're reading these days. Who knows maybe you'll share something with us that makes us want read it too.

Currently we were reading Cutting The Root chapter from Tantra by Osho.

I personally was just curious. I thought it was nice to hear something different.

I also just finished reading Space Bush which was humorous book about a game that had humans, alains, and sex. Thanks to our bar tender Josh who was reading it out loud, then I had to finish it of course [smilie=happy.gif].

So what are you Reading?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. DesertRose
    Chat with Me

Awe , :( nobody's brave enough to say what they are currently reading even if its hustler magazine . I wouldn't mind as I was in it last month.;)

3. greeneyedude
    Chat with Me

greeneyedude Well-Known Member

What a great idea for a thread!

4. DesertRose
    Chat with Me

Thanks Greeneyedude! I was hoping to see if there's anything people that want to share what they're reading.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    PhoenixRising and greeneyedude like this.
  5. Perseus
    Chat with Me

Perseus Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of being "brave," more like just not trying to bore you. One book I've just started has "Magnetohydrodynamics" in the title. Ha, lets get Josh to read that one out loud, a great cure for insomnia for anyone listening.

On the other hand, I'm also reading John le Carre's series on the Cambridge Circus / George Smiley, classic cold war spy stuff (and a lot more realistic than 007). Having gone through Checkpoint Charlie as a teenager and seen both sides of the Wall up close, it may have more interest to us older guys than you youngins.

6. RubyRae
    Chat with Me

RubyRae Well-Known Member

Omgsh! The book club idea is soooo cute! Love that.

I am currently reading books for an independent study class I'm taking on critical pedagogy. May sound boring to some, but super interesting to me! :)

7. Rapid
    Chat with Me

Rapid Living the dream

I finished a book about Mary Magdalene a couple of days ago. Who knew I would be interested in her? Almost finished reading Intimate Matters which is, I guess a history of sex. At least sex from the 17th century to modern times. Before the 17th century, I guess people didn't have sex. I am about half way through a book by Elizabeth Warren. She's a politician so nothing about sex in there.

I will pretty much read anything.

8. The last book i read was from the Rose Gardener mystery series by Denise Grover Swank. If you like good stories with some sexiness thrown in you'll love it.

Actually all her book series are good!

9. Broadhildt
    Chat with Me

Broadhildt Well-Known Member

Checkpoint Charlie - going there this fall!!

I remember the pictures from the night the wall came down. There are some really touching YouTube videos of that night, too.

So...STRONG book recommendation: "The Year That Changed the World: The Untold Story Behind the Fall of the Berlin Wall" by Michael Meyer. WaPo book review below.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/04/AR2009090401751.html

The regimes in Eastern Europe were destroyed not by monolithic force, but by myriad human beings reacting impulsively to the freedom of possibility. Watching from afar, we saw what seemed like neat little dominoes falling. In fact, what happened was as capricious, and messy, as a tornado.

Chance played a huge part. Meyer points out, for instance, that the "fall" of the Berlin Wall on Nov. 9, 1989, was an accident.

10. Broadhildt
    Chat with Me

Because of your passion for the subject, the world will be enriched.
    [smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

11. Broadhildt
    Chat with Me

Rapid, by chance it wasn't "Peter, Paul, and Mary Magdalene" by Bart Ehrman, was it?

Thanks for the recommend on Intimate Matters. I'm seriously weighing getting it - I tell myself I have to finish the 5-10 books I'm "reading" now before I get more... :D

12. Broadhildt
    Chat with Me

I'm currently reading "The River and the Railroad: An Archaeological History of Reno," by Mary Ringhoff. LOVE IT. Not only learning something about the prehistoric peoples that lived in the Truckee Meadows (what the Reno area was called before there was a city), but also about the development of the city around the railroad. Trains were my passion when I was in high school and college. Very well-done piece - easily digestible. Enough fun facts to keep you interested while you learn!

River and the Railroad.jpeg

PhoenixRising, DesertRose and Perseus like this.
  13. Roadiedoug
    Chat with Me

Roadiedoug Well-Known Member

In my case, it's books. Here's the current list:
    At work, Literary Wonderlands by Laura Miller
    Audiobook while exercising/working in yard, Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
    Audiobook while driving, The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
    At my chair in the living room, Digger, the Complete Omnibus Edition by Ursula Vernon
    While in a hot bubble bath, Casual Rex by Eric Garcia
    In bed, before sleep, whatever magazine in next in the pile.

So for me, it's not a simple question.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PhoenixRising and DesertRose like this.
  14. IMG_0333.JPG

I have been re-enjoying Calvin and Hobbes. :)

AdaMarie, PhoenixRising, Dulo and 5 others like this.
  15. Perseus
    Chat with Me

I will have to check out the book. I believe that months before the Wall came down that there was a night (I think Monday) each week where East Germans would go out into the streets of the bigger East German cities to show solidarity with each other over unification. I believe the numbers were starting to get up into the range of 200K + and growing. The "writing was on the Wall" (heh, heh) that the end was near.

PhoenixRising and CanelaCumings like this.
  16. Perseus
    Chat with Me

Who wouldn't agree with Calvin on Lima Beans! (BTW, if you look at the few pictures of Bill Watterson, you will easily see = Calvin's Dad. Drew himself into the comic strip.).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  17. baileypaige
    Chat with Me

baileypaige Well-Known Member

What a great idea.. I am not currently reading anything now.

18. Currently re-reading a text on cardiology, but if I could make some book suggestions my favorite works of fiction might be All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy and The Brief & Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. Favorite non-fiction books: Capital by Thomas Piketty, How Markets Fail: The Logic of Economic Calamities by John Cassidy, and The Future of Freedom: Illiberal Democracy at Home and Aborad by Fareed Zakaria.

I'm wondering if the ladies have any recommendations for general books on sex work and prostitution? It would be interesting to learn more about a topic I know little about and typically marginalized by society.

19. Draven Star
    Chat with Me

Draven Star Never stopped being slutty or goth. Sorry, Mom.

I'm working on 2! The authors are escaping me right now but the titles are Witches of Brimstone Hill and Ambrosial Flesh <3

20. LexieJames
    Chat with Me

LexieJames Anything and everything you desire...

I am going to add Intimate Matters to my list of books! I made a new years resolution to read at least 20 books this year and I am behind, so this should help me catch up!

21. Interesting you mention that, Miz @RoxyGold ... I've been revisiting Bloom County :)
    corduroypillows.jpg

Perseus, PhoenixRising and Broadhildt like this.
  22. RubyRae
    Chat with Me

I had somewhat of a similar goal and am also very behind, wahhhh.

PhoenixRising and LexieJames like this.
  23. Oh? Which book was it? I have an interest in Mary Magdalene.

I guess you miss the sex scandals that pop up every few months for our politicians :p Seriously though, I'm sure it's a great book, she's a fascinating figure.

I read lots of stuff, that's part of the problem of listing it, I go through books sometimes so fast I can't even remember what I'm reading until I pick it up :p I usually try to find a balance between reading fiction and nonfiction.

24. RubyRae
    Chat with Me

Aw, thanks, Broadhildt :) My passions are honestly what drives my life forward.

PhoenixRising and Broadhildt like this.
  25. Rapid
    Chat with Me

Rapid Living the dream

It was not. I will warn you Intimate Matters is quite scholarly.

26. Intimate matters seem to be very popular, I must read it! I love this book club idea! It helps us see different views and opinions that will stimulate us mentally *winks* make love to my brain❣️ Keep it cuming❣️

27. SableRenae
    Chat with Me

SableRenae Premier MILF at Kit Kat Ranch

AT PRESENT I AM READING DIGITAL MARKETING FOR DUMMIES....NOT REALLY INTERESTING BUT I DID LOAN BETTYBOOBS MY COPY OF THE MASTER OF O WAITING ON HER THOUGHTS ON IT

PhoenixRising and greeneyedude like this.
  28. Rapid
    Chat with Me

Rapid Living the dream

I gave away the Mary Magdalene book but if memory serves, the author is
    Lynn Picknett

29. Thank you for the info❣️ I'm so excited to read it:)

PhoenixRising likes this.
  30. this sounds like its so much fun

PhoenixRising likes this.
  31. love this thread so much!! I read in between bells and I'm always looking for new book suggestions! thanks for starting this thread :)

32. PhoenixRising likes this.
  33. How cool is that?! It's been nice to revisit something I enjoyed as much as I did, and neat to hear that you have been doing the same :)

34. Two books come to mind:

1) Hillbilly Elegy by J.D Vance
    2) Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement without Giving In by Roger Fisher and William Ury

The first one is a compelling story about the life and struggles of families living in coal country and the rust belt.
    The second is a gold standard about negotating - a topic that comes up quite a bit at the ranches.

35. RubyRae
    Chat with Me

Interesting read for the second one. I think people make negotiating much more complicated than it needs to be. It just needs to be what's fair for both parties. And what's worth it to the buyer and what the seller feels their worth is. I think with a bit of understanding and compromise from both sides, settling on a price is pretty easy :)