Astronomy Picture Of The Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Docrocker, Nov 6, 2013.

1. JadeCapri
    Chat with Me

JadeCapri I am genuinely happy to meet you.

2. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

Docrocker Well-Known Member

I knew you'd like that one Jade!

3. HollyWood
    Chat with Me

HollyWood Let me show you the TRUE Hollywood Experience!

4. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

This is an amazing pic of an Aurora borealis up in Canada! This has been on my bucket list for a long time and will likely stay there unless I get my butt up North!! Btw what's an Aurora called in the Southern Hemisphere??

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140714.html

5. jennyjade
    Chat with Me

jennyjade Well-Known Member

Did you see the moon the other night? It was so big and beautiful here in Missouri!

6. Maybe I should try a ices on for size? [smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

7. “I like the night. Without the dark, we'd never see the stars.”

8. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

Supposedly because of the "space dust" in our galaxy we don't even see all the stars.!imagine without the dust how many stars, it would be blinding.

9. Love it love it

10. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

I used photo collage app to make these from the astrophotos I have take over the years....Doc's Astronomy Pic Of The Day [smilie=happy.gif]

11. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

Glad you enjoy! That is a interesting pic of what earth may have looked thanks I would have missed it http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140805.html

12. caressakisses
    Chat with Me

caressakisses *Caressa Kisses ;-),

Beautiful pic Doc!

13. JadeCapri
    Chat with Me

JadeCapri I am genuinely happy to meet you.

I am sure you know about that, but thought it would be appropriate to share here ;)

Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks on August 12

August 8, 2014 | by Lisa Winter

photo credit: NASA/JPL

Sky watchers will soon be able to see the peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower, a perennial favorite. The shower has been visible since July 17 and will stick around until August 24th, peaking overnight on August 12/13. These meteors are remnants of the Comet Swift Tuttle and the shower’s radiant will appear to be coming from the Double Cluster within the constellation Perseus.

Ordinarily, viewing the Perseids in pre-dawn hours in a dark sky can turn up about 60 sightings per hour. This year the shower is competing with light from the waning gibbous moon, which will wash out all but the brightest meteors.

If you aren’t able to head outside in order to view the peak of the shower, Slooh will be broadcasting the event live on August 12 at 7:00 pm EDT. The event will feature commentary from astronomer Bob Berman and others, and you can join the conversation about the broadcast by using #PerseidsSloohsation on social media.

iflscience.com/space/perseid-meteor-shower-peaks-august-12#deys6lTUw52W7Tt1.99

14. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

Yes the Perseus meteor shower peaked on the night of the "Supermoon" so they were hard to see because of the bright moon but you can see some the week before and after so look for them on a clear night. Thanks Jade!

15. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

This is Doc's APOD a wide angle nightscape pic I took on my annual astronomy adventure. This shows the constellation Sagittarius low on the southern horizon with the Milky Way galaxy going through. Hope you like!

16. 8) That is so cool. Wow" How about a field trip to the Planetarium! 8)

17. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

18. caressakisses
    Chat with Me

caressakisses *Caressa Kisses ;-),

Beautiful Rocker Roo! Thanks so much!

19. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

20. six
    Chat with Me

six Active Member

Cool

21. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

22. Air Force Amy
    Chat with Me

Air Force Amy 10x Bunny of The Year!

Thank you, Docrocker. I can't believe I fell asleep and missed it.

23. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

24. jennajayden
    Chat with Me

jennajayden Well-Known Member

25. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

ivymae likes this.
  26. BryceStevens
    Chat with Me

BryceStevens The perfect GFE Girl next Door

Hi DocRocker, Yes, I've been on this site before. They have wonderful pics of our universe. I like looking at them. Makes one feel tiny by comparison.

[smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

27. ivymae
    Chat with Me

ivymae -Kit Kat's ♔ Polynesian Princess-

THIS IS AN INCREDIBLY FASCINATING PICTURE, DOC! IT IS TRUE BEAUTY AND WONDROUS. THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE TOMORROWS!

28. Docrocker
    Chat with Me

Love this pic taken shortly after sunset showing the milky way above and Jupiter and Venus close together (conjunction) setting just above the horizon one just above the other.
    http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

APOD1.jpg

randyryder likes this.