Christmas Traditions!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EllieAmes, Dec 5, 2023.

1. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

EllieAmes Sinfully Delicious

Tis the season for festive fun and family traditions! What are some of your Christmas traditions or activities that you MUST do every Christmas holiday? Are you an ugly sweater type of crew? Is it mandatory to keep eggnog in the house?

Me: I like to decorate the house and the tree as a family and when we get snowed in, I gotta have warm blankets, hot cocoa, comfy pjs and enjoy a movie day inside snuggled up!

KatrinaJeanne and SailorB like this.
  2. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Old Nick Well-Known Member

When my grandma was still with us, we would spend Christmas Eve at her house opening presents and enjoying each other’s company. Since her passing, there’s no tradition. There’s also co-parenting now that I’m divorced, so my daughter spends every other Christmas with me.

3. Now that the kids are off to school and beyond we don’t do it anymore. But, we used to wrap up 24 books and put them under the tree on December 1st. They got to open one each night and that is the one that was read before bed. As they got a little older we added a few movies and holiday activities.

AutumnVerlot and EllieAmes like this.
  4. TiredFrog
    Chat with Me

TiredFrog Well-Known Member

This has been my year to re-invent myself and among the things I'm addressing is Christmas. I haven't put up any decorations at all for quite a few years now and being in a new place, new area, this year I've changed that. I love the look and the feel and know I'm not going to have a Christmas again without at least a decorated tree!

AutumnVerlot and EllieAmes like this.
  5. FreyaNovia
    Chat with Me

FreyaNovia Your curvy Latina MILF

Trudging through the snow to see Christmas lights, then heading back in to warm up with blankets, hot cocoa, and a Christmas movie are top tier <3

6. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

cHQUOTE="Old Nick, post: 1472003, member: 9376"]When my grandma was still with us, we would spend Christmas Eve at her house opening presents and enjoying each other’s company. Since her passing, there’s no tradition. There’s also co-parenting now that I’m divorced, so my daughter spends every other Christmas with me.[/QUOT
    Christmas's with Grandparents are always the best! We also used to open our presents on Christmas Eve. Christmas day was usually reserved for "Recovery" for the adults after all the Christmas Eve excitement! I didn't know this was what they were doing until I grew up lol!

Marlin Groce Jr and Old Nick like this.
  7. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

WOW! This is an amazing idea! ;););)

BeaverFan likes this.
  8. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

I wish you luck on your journey of re-invention. I know it is not an easy task. I'm glad you finally were able to decorate again and I agree don't go with out at least a decorated tree! One year I had misplaced the pole that the branches attach to for my tree. I didn't want to buy a new one so I spread out all the branches and decorated my Christmas bush! After Christmas was over and it was time to put things away I found the pole next to where the box had originally been stored. Turns out I didn't too hard to find it lol!

TiredFrog likes this.
  9. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

Yes! I love seeing all the beautiful Christmas lights! I really enjoy when entire neighborhoods get festive!

TiredFrog and FreyaNovia like this.
  10. AutumnVerlot
    Chat with Me

AutumnVerlot Nympho Next Door

aww love that!
    [smilie=hot over you.gif]

BeaverFan and EllieAmes like this.
  11. TiredFrog
    Chat with Me

TiredFrog Well-Known Member

I LOVE going out and looking at the lights, I don't think I've ever seen a town where so many people decorate as they do here in this place in Wisconsin. The lights reflecting against the snow is so gorgeous!

EllieAmes and FreyaNovia like this.
  12. FreyaNovia
    Chat with Me

Like Ellie Ames said, it's even more beautiful when the whole neighborhood can get in on it :p

13. grizzly
    Chat with Me

grizzly Well-Known Member

so this is going to date be a bit but here goes.

Back in the good ol days, (when grandma was alive and the family not split apart) We would gather at Grandmas house in Pratt on Christmas Eve and have a meal.

We would watch an old show called Toyboy and Santa's workshop

We would also watch the orignal NORAD Santa Tracker to see how close to our area Santa was.

Sadly, it is just me and my mom these days, she is divorced, my family lives in Kansas and Wyoming.

Mom and I now will watch Christmas movies like Santa Claus, Elf, A dog named Christmas, Prancer and a few others. We will usally bake a ham and some tators and just have a quiet day at home.

We also usally go neighborhood cruising and looking at the lights.

Old Nick and EllieAmes like this.
  14. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

I really like this tradition! Meals where the family gathers at the dinner table are the best! Especially when followed with movies! I hope you have a great holiday!

grizzly likes this.
  15. FreyaNovia
    Chat with Me

I forgot about Prancer, that's a good movie! My kids love watching Santa on the NORDAC tracker. They even offer to send kids texts from Santa now <3

16. Christmas eve I would always make a new england boiled dinner, which consists of boiled ham, cabbage and potatoes. Also I always watch the movie, a Christmas story.

EllieAmes, FreyaNovia and TiredFrog like this.
  17. FreyaNovia
    Chat with Me

Christmas Eve me and my brother were allowed to open one present each :cool:

EllieAmes, Old Nick and Scottbyrnes like this.
  18. BigAlbowski
    Chat with Me

BigAlbowski Well-Known Member

I always follow Santa on NORAD Santa tracker and post little updates on Facebook.

I like to watch the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol (Scrooge)
    upload_2023-12-7_4-15-21.png

On Christmas morning, after opening presents and emptying my stocking, I would put stocking on my foot... :p

I have an Angel tree topper rather than star... She goes on first to oversee the decoration of the tree!

19. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Old Nick Well-Known Member

Same for me and my brothers growing up. We also made the rounds to my dad’s house and my brothers’ dad’s place when he had one, otherwise he’d visit us.

FreyaNovia, Scottbyrnes and EllieAmes like this.
  20. Every year since 2007, on Christmas Eve, I watch the 1988 Bill Murray movie Scrooged. I only watch the movie once a year, only on Christmas Eve.

Also, there is the traditional Christmas meal of homemade ravioli.

Scottbyrnes and EllieAmes like this.
  21. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

I've never had a New England boiled dinner but that sounds very delicious!

Scottbyrnes likes this.
  22. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

We opened gifts and did Christmas dinner, basically the whole 9 yards on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day was reserved for the "recovery period" for all the hungover adults lol!

grizzly, FreyaNovia and Scottbyrnes like this.
  23. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

I have never seen the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol that I know of. I'll have to check it out!

BigAlbowski and Scottbyrnes like this.
  24. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

Homemade ravioli sounds amazing! [smilie=happy.gif]

Scottbyrnes likes this.
  25. It’s really good. He makes like 200 of them. Takes a long time so he gets his kids and grandkids in to help.

26. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

WOW! This takes me back to my childhood trauma lol! I remember trying to run and hide when it was time to make tamales lol! Grandma called it help too lol! Honestly those were some of the best times.

27. SailorB
    Chat with Me

SailorB Active Member

Those sound amazing ways to spend time during the holidays. For me it’s putting up the Christmas tree and watching a Christmas vacation and Die Hard.

28. FreyaNovia
    Chat with Me

Christmas pre-game! I loved it as a kid :):):):):)

EllieAmes and Old Nick like this.
  29. FreyaNovia
    Chat with Me

Honestly, that's probably the best way to do it, lol

EllieAmes and SailorB like this.
  30. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

Wow die hard is a great movie! I'm going to put that on our movie night list! Thanks for sharing!

Old Nick and SailorB like this.
  31. SailorB
    Chat with Me

SailorB Active Member

You’re welcome and yes that was my grandma’s favorite Christmas movie so now I watch it every Christmas to remember her. It’s my favorite movie to watch on Christmas Day.

EllieAmes likes this.
  32. BigAlbowski
    Chat with Me

BigAlbowski Well-Known Member

Alistair Sim is fantastic as Scrooge... G.O.A.T. in my opinion.... Such an emotional journey!

EllieAmes likes this.
  33. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

That's a great way to honor her memory! [smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

SailorB likes this.
  34. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

I must admit I don't know anything about Alistair Sim. I am going to watch this movie. Thanks for sharing!

BigAlbowski likes this.
  35. SailorB
    Chat with Me

SailorB Active Member

Thanks keeps her memory alive and she would watch it with the older kids every Christmas night.

EllieAmes likes this.