Join me in donating to your local food bank :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RebeccaBrite, Apr 13, 2020.

1. RebeccaBrite
    Chat with Me

RebeccaBrite Well-Known Member

Dearest Freaky Darlings,

Good afternoon! I have not broken social isolation, but I donated 20 canned goods to my local food Bank. I picked up canned goods during my last big shopping trip, some soups, fruits, and veggies. I used coupons and weekly deals and it was super cheap.

My local food bank picks up and delivers/has a drive thru. I registered on their website and they came by and picked up the box that I left on my doorstep!

I volunteer 4 days a month at my local free clinic, which is currently closed, and donate to my local food bank monthly.

Please consider joining me if you can donate without breaking social isolation.

While I am not currently working, I am so fortunate that I did not have to worry about my mortgage payment. While isolation and not working is difficult, I count my blessings and feel lucky to not worry about my "4" walls.

2. AlexaWu
    Chat with Me

AlexaWu Well-Known Member

Love this post @RebeccaBrite ! It's important we give back in hard times and throughout the year.

It's great to know another lady enjoys volunteering! Lets volunteer together next time we are both at the ranch :).

I help a local church serve meals to veterans, members of AA and families (sometimes with their children) in need of a hot meal weekly.

Food banks are being hit hard with less donors now and need our help more than ever.

This is my favorite post of the week!

3. Great job ladies! It is so important to pay it forward. Along with giving to our local food bank, we previously volunteered at a Golden Retriever Rescue and have also donated to them. I just watched Farm Aid and also donated. A few bucks here and there really helps. Might have to cut out beer for a while but it will help my girlish figure.ha ha.

RebeccaBrite and AlexaWu like this.
  4. The Mrs and I were just discussing donating. It’s sad to see the lines at food banks and to hear they’re running low on supplies. It looks like the Great Depression :(

RebeccaBrite and AlexaWu like this.
  5. AlexaWu
    Chat with Me

Do you have photos of the Golden Retrievers? This sounds like a very happy place to volunteer. Love animals <3

Every dollar helps and you win too! Tax deduction for donations and keeping you healthy :);)

RebeccaBrite likes this.
  6. AlexaWu
    Chat with Me

It is really sad, but it's great we know how lucky we are and are helping others <3 When donating, check how much money goes towards paying staff salaries and how much goes to buying supplies to feed the people.. some organizations take quite a pretty penny. Or do as @RebeccaBrite did and donate items :).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    RebeccaBrite and Florida Couple like this.
  7. AlexaWu
    Very good advice about checking”admin” costs. They can be quite high. The cool thing about Farm Aid was they gave you an option to pay those costs so your whole donation went to the aid. The concert was this past weekend so I am sure one could still donate.
    The rescue is Homeward Bound in Elverta Ca. Plenty of cute, furry pictures on their website. Alexa your altruistic nature has really caught my eye. Would really like to meet once this mess is behind us!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2020
    AlexaWu likes this.
  8. TN_MAN
    Chat with Me

TN_MAN Well-Known Member

I did a small thing at the grocery store. I paid for the groceries of the young lady behind me. She has been out of work because of the covid-19.

Hiker dude, RebeccaBrite and AlexaWu like this.
  9. @TN_MAN. Very cool dude. I bet she was very grateful

10. TN_MAN
    Chat with Me

TN_MAN Well-Known Member

Hiker Dude... she was very nice and sweet in her Thanks. The store even gave me a discount on the bill as a way of passing it along you know. I happen to be lucky in that I have some means in helping. I just hope she gets her job back and has great days to come!

Hiker dude and AlexaWu like this.
  11. @TN_MAN. It is amazing what a random act of kindness can do. It is like the ripples in water from a thrown stone

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2020
    AlexaWu likes this.
  12. AlexaWu
    Chat with Me

Looking forward to meeting you :)

Hiker dude likes this.
  13. AlexaWu
    Chat with Me

This was a great act of kindness, thank you for brightening her day [smilie=be mine!.gif]

Hiker dude likes this.
  14. RebeccaBrite
    Chat with Me

I would LOVE to volunteer with you! The hardest hit will continue to need a lot of support in the next few months because they will be playing catch up.

15. Donating to the food bank is also a great way to get some spring cleaning done in your kitchen. Those boxes of Angel Hair pasta you bought three months ago accidentally instead of spaghetti would be well received. :)

16. RebeccaBrite
    Chat with Me

Yes!!!
    OR if you purchased 5 cans of soup and realized that you did not enjoy that flavor as much as you thought you would... I can tell you that some brands of canned clam chowder are no bueno.

17. Im right there with you @RebeccaBrite

One of The Lyon County Food Pantries (Lyon County is the county in which our brothels and gals are licensed) is located at the end of my street. Every time I pick up groceries, I stop there and leave a sizable cash donation.

It has come to my attention that food pantries can get a significant more amount of food for the monies we donate as opposed to the foods we can donate because they get such huge discounts at food suppliers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2020
  18. RebeccaBrite
    Chat with Me

That is so good to know!
    Although as a New working girl I am not working, girl, I am way way more fortunate than many and I will not forget that.

Built tough likes this.
  19. I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. I wonder if the animal shelters are the same way with pet food. :)

AlexaWu and Built tough like this.
  20. Roxy, the rescue’s that I am aware of operate the same way. Money donations are best. Generally they like to purchase the same type food and get a discount from whichever supplier they use. Most rescues endeavor to use quality food so it is easier for them to achieve this if they are in control of purchase. Best bet would be to call first.

AlexaWu likes this.