Collector, hoarder, or pack rat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RoxyGold, Apr 2, 2020.

1. I’m a little bit of each, I guess. I have a few collections, like to stock up on some things (then when someone needs it I can save the day) and my junk drawers can get a little out of control when I’m not on top of throwing things away.

How about you? What do you collect? Do you hesitate to throw things away? Let’s have some fun sharing with friends! :)

RunningSquirrel likes this.
  2. TiredFrog
    Chat with Me

TiredFrog Well-Known Member

The only thing I actually collect are Victorian style Santa Claus figurines...I know its weird but somebody has to! Otherwise, I have the same junk drawer problem and probably about once a year I go on a rampage of cleaning them all out and throwing things away.

SantaClause and RunningSquirrel like this.
  3. As I've gotten older, I'm shedding things more and more, holding mostly onto items of personal meaning (and of little value to everyone else) and those collectibles possibly worthy of eBay if not that PBS antiques' roadshow ... yes, I do have an "emergency" stash for days like this. I do know that after every major "Spring Cleaning," my place feels much lighter.

4. isurfer
    Chat with Me

isurfer Well-Known Member

Collector, hoarder, or pack rat?

Yes, I'm all of the above.

5. kmerrill
    Chat with Me

kmerrill Well-Known Member

I collect Blu-Rays of my favorite movies and anime, Video Games, and comics. I'm not one of those that will collect every game or movie I enjoy or see as I consider that as walking into hoarder territory.

6. BigAlbowski
    Chat with Me

BigAlbowski Well-Known Member

A bit of each! I have a hard time parting with anything and have to make a concerted effort to downsize! Love books and dvds and cds..... And just stuff from throughout the years!

7. I shed real tears when I gave away the majority of my band shirts to a loving home. It was time, they took up far more room than t shirts are allowed to take :)

8. What kinds of oddities have you found in cleaning them? :)

9. There's this company called Campus Quilts that can assemble a quilt (varying sizes are offered) with your shirts. I had one done when all these running event shirts were filling my cabinets to overflow. But have vintage Stones ('81 tour)/Sammy Hagar/Aerosmith/Night Ranger/Kiss/Quiet Riot/Ratt/Bon Jovi/Whitesnake/ACDC (to name a few) tour shirts. Believe it or not, my fave is my Ramones "Road to Ruin" shirt...that was a memorable night...gabba gabba hey...

So guess I still hoard stuff, lol

10. I thought of doing something like that, but they were way too worn out and/or stained. It was either give them away to some youngsters (who were properly STOKED at this inheritance) or watch them not so slowly fall apart until they turned into painting rags. They deserved the former fate.

Do you still wear your old shirts from time to time?

11. You have an awesome Hawaiian shirt collection! :)

12. AlexaWu
    Chat with Me

AlexaWu Well-Known Member

Stock up on necessary supplies when they go on sale, collector of jewelry, hats, shoes, handbags... you see where this is going.

Everything is pretty organized [smilie=happy.gif]

13. What kinds of shoes and handbags do you collect, Alexa? :)

AlexaWu likes this.
  14. TiredFrog
    Chat with Me

TiredFrog Well-Known Member

There will always be keys that I have no clue what they unlock, batteries which fit nothing I have... it always ends up being quite the mystery!

15. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Old Nick Well-Known Member

I have a collection of games; board games and video games. I have a few that came out during my childhood that I found on EBay, Amazon, and by pure blind luck at antique shops and rummage sales.

16. AlexaWu
    Chat with Me

Where should I start? [smilie=happy.gif];) Timeless/classic pieces are forever my best friend, worth the investment for good quality that will hold together and continue to look new use after use. I love antiquing and vintage stores, very special pieces can be found. I always wish I knew the history of each piece i buy form these stores.

@origlegman reminded me how much I love fun/bold patterns, Alice and Olivia has wonderful tops that are fun and funky, and still perfect for looking professional.

European brands are usually well worth the price. Heck, I've gotten at $10 shirt from Barcelona and it has held up better and still one of my favorite tops, compared to other "Made In" brands which were much more expensive. All about quality which also helps reduce our environmental footprint.

Buy what you love, then you'll buy less :D

17. isurfer
    Chat with Me

isurfer Well-Known Member

I used to love going to thrift stores, yard sales, and used bookstores, even as part of going on vacations in different towns. I don't think that I've thrown away anything that I've bought except for some clothes that don't fit anyone I know. Good thing I stopped doing that sort of shopping, I was running out of room to store things. I have dozens of plates, forks, and spoons that don't match, I usually got those at thrift stores.

18. I have an intact Monopoly set from the 70s :)

AlexaWu and Old Nick like this.
  19. I would love to see a picture thread of you with all of your beautiful pieces! :)

AlexaWu likes this.
  20. And CORDS! I have an intense fear of throwing cords and chargers away! :)

TiredFrog likes this.
  21. AlexaWu
    Chat with Me

Great idea, will work on it [smilie=happy.gif]

22. Fashion show! Fashion show! :)

AlexaWu likes this.
  23. One thing that has helped a lot with both clutter and saving money was doing an inventory around the house as I was making my list. Shower soap is on sale? I don’t need it, the one I have is 3/4 full. :)

AlexaWu likes this.
  24. Actually, I do, lol...the Stones' American Tour '81 shirt is cherished (since I waited in line at a Ticketron counter forever, lol) as well as the Ramones' tee but will don the Quiet Riot (so very 1984) shirt on occasion probably 'cause it fits so well.

AlexaWu likes this.
  25. Is it Metal Health? That was a great shirt! :)

26. I really miss the Goodwill on Santa Monica Blvd. and the Out Of The Closet on Lincoln circa 10 years ago. The last time I was there the prices were out of control, more on par with a regular store’s sale than a second hand store. :)

27. You got it, Miz Rox! Slick Black Cadillac!

28. Ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner!

Which reminds me... we really need to play You Don’t Know Jack sometime :)

29. I just cleaned up my phone because it was running slow, it turns out that I am an app hoarder :)

Old Nick and RunningSquirrel like this.
  30. Canadian1987
    Chat with Me

Canadian1987 Well-Known Member

I collect video games, in fact I can see in one of your photos that you have your face painted like Kratos from God of War, that's my favorite series along with The Last Of Us and Uncharted.

31. Actually it's David Bowie, but the red Stripe does look similar! :)

32. gilmore270
    Chat with Me

gilmore270 Well-Known Member

I collect guns and fishing equipment. Plus bikes.. for some reason every time a woman is in my house i find one ear ring only 1. And I can't throw them away they stay in a junk draw once i find them. The ear ring is not my fault they forget them or loose one and I usually find it in a couple days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

33. I finally got rid of the mismatch sock collection in my drawer :)

AlexaWu likes this.
  34. AlexaWu
    Chat with Me

Did you find the missing socks? :cool:

35. Some of them, yes! Hence why I was inspired to go through the drawer! :)

AlexaWu likes this.